Recap of Ottawa Fashion Week 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Ottawa Fashion Week brought a little couture to the capital last weekend.

The three-day event, which took place at the classy Sala San Marco in Little Italy, hosted 21 international design labels who each crafted stunning and beautiful Spring/Summer collections.

In addition to the shows, there were several talented musicians who performed in between runway shows and a number of artists who set up booths across the street. I never found myself having a dull moment throughout each of the three nights. When I wasn’t watching the runway shows, I was listening to live music and browsing through beautiful hand-crafted jewellery, or chatting up a lady who hand-sews and hand-paints unwanted shoes.

As much as I loved all of he designers, and wish I could write about each and every one, I’m going to give you the low-down on my top 5 favourites that I saw this weekend.

1. Jana Hanzel & Emilia Torabi

This wonderful design duo presented a collection of absolutely stunning dresses and suit combinations, made for the daring and fashion-savvy businesswoman. The most amazing part of the collection was the decision to only use red and pink hues, with over two-thirds of the collection being a vibrant and sexy red. The beautiful cuts and form of the outfits and their intricate detailing; from feathers and lace to sequins, cinching and tassels, made for an absolutely jaw-dropping collection. From the Hunger Games-esque hairstyles to the low intense action music, and the collection itself, this show is forever one to remember.

Photos: Melissa Baumann

[pagebreak]

2. Guertina Cruz

If I were to choose one collection that would best suit my personal style it would undoubtedly be this one. This collection was very feminine and elegant. The designers made the models resemble china dolls, from the clothes themselves to the soft, natural makeup and braided up-dos they wore. The collection, which except for the use of some pale blue hues was only black and white, helped to add to the sheer elegance that the collection portrayed. For anyone who is a true girly-girl and appreciates the simple lace, frills and pleating like me, this would definitely be a collection you should check out!

Photos: Melissa Baumann

[pagebreak]

3. Genevieve Lima

This next collection which is a complete contrast from the previous one, and can be summarized in one word: sexy. This collection is all about showing off our best assets; so there was lots of legs and stomach to be seen. There was an ongoing theme of bold and bright colours and tropical patterns, which were very summery and romantic. There were a lot of short dresses with deep plunges exposing the back or skirts and pants paired with tie-up shirts exposing the midriff. The feel of the show was very beachy and fun, reflected in the clothes, the club music, and the bright red lipstick and loose curls worn by the models. If you’re not afraid to take some risks and have fun this is definitely a collection you’ll want to check out!

Photos: http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/12/photos-ottawa-fashion-week-day-1

[pagebreak]

4. Yola Couture

This collection had the feminine and youthful feel that Guertina Cruz had but with a more modern and sexy edge to it. The first few pieces had a lot of white and black but it was contrasted with bolder hues like teal, blue, and hot pink. There were short skirts and shorts paired with sheer lace tops with elegant detailing which made it sexy but reserved at the same time. There were also some beautiful white linen summer dresses, one with an exposed back and one with shimmer and gems on the front in the shape of a butterfly. Towards the end of the show there were many bold and modern tri-coloured pieces such as a floor length teal one-shouldered dress with a black line from shoulder to hem which made quite a statement. This was also shown in a shorter version with a deep V in the back. I loved this one for the youthful, fun and feminine overall presentation; it was very creative but very practical at the same time!

[pagebreak]

5. Dare by Gwen Mabida

The name of this design label speaks for itself. This collection was very creative and risqué, from its bold use of colour to its intricate shapes, cuts and detailing. Each piece was very different from the next, from the colour to the detail; it almost seemed more like art than anything else at times, although it was still very practical. My favourite piece was a skin-tight, sleeveless bandage dress with a turtleneck and two half-rings coming from the back to the front on the right side, giving it a very futuristic feel. Although each piece had the same colour through-out, it was the cuts and detailing that made it stand-out, showing that the designer knew how to use shape and fabric in a great way. 

Photos: kajaphoto

This past weekend was the first fashion show that I’ve ever attended and it’s safe to say I was very impressed! I encourage you all to check out the Ottawa Fashion Week website and browse through the designers; they’re all very talented and very original, and if you love fashion as much as I do it’ll be well worth your while!

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.