How to Handle a Break-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

The relationship is all good and dandy until the break-up. It doesn’t matter who does the act, the point is that something that could have been your future is now broken. So the real question is how do you move on? Everyone deals with break-ups in a different manner. While speaking to people around campus, it was
clear that there were four main ways in which both guys and girls get over the initial emotional shock.

1. Use the negative to accomplish something
After a break up there’s a lot of animosity and negative energy floating around. It’s easy to just let your bitterness to take control. But from the perspective of a majority of guys and girls I spoke to, they say that the best way to deal with that negativity is to take on a project. Whether it’s your midterm essay or an assignment you couldn’t handle before, negative energy, if used constructively, can be great motivation.

2. Hang out with friends
Chantal Bilodeau, a first-year student at Carleton, says that her main post break-up activity is to hang out with her friends. It seems that this one is a popular go-to. When all is said and done, your friends are the ones who are going to either say “where do we find him” or “she’s not worth your time.” Friends are your
 support system and time with them after a break-up will do nothing but bring you back and build you up.

3. Play sports or do something fun!
The person you were before the relationship is still the person you are today. The reoccurring theme I discovered is that people always put something aside to be with their ex-significant other. Whether this be painting, writing or playing sports, you can get back into it! Think of this as an opportunity to better yourself! The more that you look at the break-up as a positive thing, the more you’ll be able to move on and grow.

4. Accept it and move on
Personally, there’s no better feeling than acceptance; when you sit back, and realize that it’s over and they weren’t right for you. As of 2012, there are seven billion people on this
 planet. If they weren’t right for you, then there are plenty of opportunities to find someone who is. Break down, punch the wall, then get back up, put on your hottest outfit, and get back out there. The best way to get over the past is to look to the future, and who knows whose face you’ll see there!

When you look at the bigger picture of life, dating is about finding someone who you can see in your future. A break-up isn’t the end of the world; it’s just the end of one chapter in your book. There’s someone better out there for you and now is the chance to find them. Take the world by storm, and you’ll find your better half. Carleton’s got many faces and personalities to its name, finding someone better fitting to you will be a cinch. Until then enjoy being the person you are!

Image Sources:
http://www.womansavers.com/Break-up-advice.asp
http://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/retail-therapy-copy.jpg
http://www.eharmony.com/labs/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/flirting.jpg

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.