How to Stick to Your New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Here we are, already finding ourselves in February. Whatever your New Year’s resolution is, I know it can be tough to stick to it. For me this year, it’s being healthier all around. I’ve gone with something that I know I can tackle but still is challenging to me. I’d say the first thing about a resolution is to make a goal overall and know that it is obtainable. Know that you want this goal and think about why you want it. For me, I want my body to physically feel good and mentally as well. Your goal could be something small, like cutting back on your caffeine intake or maybe a more personal task by becoming more organized.

Within your goal, set small goals. My goal contains feeling healthier physically and mentally, so I’ve really taken note of what I eat and working out has for sure increased. So smaller goals that I’ve set for myself are eating healthier snacks and doing exercises that work for me. I started drinking smoothies in the morning- filling them with fruits, yogurt and vegetables. I also add flax seeds or pumpkin seeds, or even chia seeds. I’ve also picked up a few gym buddies to help make the experience more fun. If your goal is to drink less caffeine, maybe set certain days that you know will be difficult to deal without it; like Mondays or even Fridays. Having a resolution that you and a friend pick together can be a great idea. You both can work at a similar pace and help each other.

While you might find yourself struggling to keep going, I know giving incentives is a great way to stay motivated and on track. I know for me, my little incentives are splurging on new workout clothes or shoes. If your goal is to be more organized, something that could be an incentive could be a nice dish to buy to put loose earrings in or find a unique DIY craft on Pinterest that helps with organizing. Maybe if your cutting back on caffeine you can buy that special coffee or drink that you really like since you’re not drinking it as much.

All in all, it’s your goal and you have to believe in yourself. You have to want to change. I believe in you and know you can do it! A little motivation can go a long way and within time you’d be surprised what you can do. You’re stronger than you think. Organization is key to a happy home, caffeine is good in small amounts, and it’s important to live and healthy lifestyle. So how is your New Year’s Resolution going? Hope you can stick to it and find some good incentives that work for you.