Winter Trends in Downtown SLO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As soon as the chilly air hits and rain pours down, it seems like everyone throws away their style and opts for Cal Poly sweaters, jeans, and rain boots for class. While comfort and staying warm is definitely important during the colder months, looking lazy isn’t the way to go. Upgrade your style this winter to the top trends without sacrificing the warmth and comfort your Cal Poly sweater brings you.

Prints and Patterns. With winter comes gloomy days, but that doesn’t mean you have to dress in dark-colored clothing. Instead, embrace the colors you wore in the summer and wear great patterns. The fall 2012 runway during Fashion Week featured some really great prints and patterns that can be found in your favorite clothing stores; you just need to rock them. Though it may be winter, floral patterns are still huge so there’s no going wrong with floral printed leggings, jeans, or embroidered tops. Urban Outfitters located on Monterey Street has a huge selection of all the aforementioned, so there’s no doubt you’ll find a pattern that you love. 

Faux Fur. This season, faux fur has been upgraded from the fur-lined hoods of Hollister puffy jackets, to stylish faux fur-lined and accented coats, jackets and vests. Coverings on Higuera Street has a wide selection of faux fur-lined jackets and faux fur vests that are sure to keep you warm and looking great this season. Throw a faux fur vest over your favorite knit sweater for some extra warmth and style, or just simply pair a faux-fur coat over a lighter top. Special find at Coverings: faux fur vest with a knitted back – so cute! Lulu Luxe on Higuera St. also has a nice selection of fur coats and vests that are worth checking out. 

[pagebreak]

Knits. Stay warm with chunky knits. Cozy knit sweaters and scarves are always a staple for winter, but they’re even hotter this time around. Layer chunky sweaters with a button-down underneath, or simply throw it on and pair it with jeans (or even better- patterned jeans) and your favorite pair of boots. It’s a simple and effortless look that not only keeps you warm, but keeps you looking stylish. If you’re worried about looking chunky while wearing the trend, don’t be! Chunky knits are supposed to look a little boxy. But to minimize the big silhouette of the sweater, pair it with skinny pants or leggings for a slimming look, or a loose skirt with thick tights for a more dressed up look. To define your waist, cinch a wide belt over the smallest part of your waist, over the sweater. You can find a wide selection of great knits at Ambiance on Higuera Street – especially if you love Free People.

Volume. Winter 2012 is all about having volume and embracing a silhouette that most are afraid of: oversized clothing. There are a few key oversized pieces you need to have this winter and, believe it or not, you won’t be swallowed by them.  A perfect coat is always necessary for winter, but this season, try an oversized coat. To still show off your figure, wear skinny jeans to balance out the coat. Contrasting silhouettes is an easy way to balance out the outfit and your figure. Another oversized piece that you’ll love is the cardigan that’s more shawl-like this season. It’s extremely simple and can add a little something to any outfit, especially if the cardigan is patterned. Bella B, on Morro St., and Gap both have cardigans and timeless coats; look to Gap for heavier, chunky knits and Bella B for lighter ones. Urban Outfitters also has a nice selection of oversized cardigans in native patterns or stripes. 

[Pagebreak]

Winter’s trendiest color: Oxblood. It’s a luxurious, sophisticated, and edgy color that could also be described as a burgundy, merlot, or deep red color. Use oxblood as an accent to your outfit with oxblood-colored nails or with a statement bag. If you’d rather make a statement with your outfit, you can’t go wrong with oxblood colored jeans or with a coat. Lulu Luxe has some great oxblood colored tops as well as Avanti on Higuera Street. 

Leila is a second-year at Cal Poly, majoring in journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in graphic communication. She loves writing and is obsessed with fashion, looking to Vogue for fashion inspiration. Along with Her Campus, she represents Cal Poly's College of Liberal Arts (CLA) as a CLA Ambassador while involved in the public relations committe. She is also an active member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not writing, Leila enjoys spending time updating her blog she created, visiting the beach, and shopping with friends. She loves social media and is addicted to Twitter - @leiladurmaz