11 Hollywood Hunks of Yesteryear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Sure, nowadays we may have Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum and a slew of other Hollywood hotties, but some of the most attractive fellows you’ll see on the silver screen are the stars of the movie classics of yore. Some of these babes you may only know of as old men, but take a trip back in cinematic time to see them in their prime. Consult this list anytime you want to watch a Hollywood classic, but also want some eye candy…

1. Clint Eastwood

You may know him as Dirty Harry, as the old guy in Gran Torino, or maybe, to you, he’s just the dad of the insanely hot dude from The Longest Ride. Apparently the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree because, back in the day, Clint was a hunky cowboy in his own right.

Gotta see him in: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)

2. Robert Redford

You gotta be a heartthrob to star in such romantic movies as The Great Gatsby and The Way We Were. Apparently America has a thing for rugged cowboy-types since this fella is also famed for starring in a Western—but you can’t help but be drawn to man who looks like Brad Pitt and manages to pull off a mustache.

Gotta see him in: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

3. Harrison Ford

We all know and love his rascally Han Solo—even Princess Leia is no match for his bad-boy smirk. But Ford never looked so good as when he was wielding a whip and battling Nazis. An adventurer and an archaeologist? Indiana Jones sets unrealistic expectations for a well-rounded hunk.

Gotta see him in: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

4. Gregory Peck

You probably know him as the noble father-figure Atticus from To Kill a Mockingbird. You hopefully know him as Audrey Hepburn’s heartthrob in Roman Holiday. You should know him as a the intriguing tall-dark-and-handsome character opposite Ingrid Bergman in an Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece; the movie is a riveting mystery, but you’ll probably just spend the 2 hours gazing into young Peck’s soulful brown eyes.

Gotta see him in: Spellbound (1945)

5. Carey Grant

We’ve all got a soft spot for a handsome man with a great sense of humor. He’s an absolute gem in numerous comedies, from Bringing Up Baby to Charade. But get ready to see him (and his chin) play a sexy spy opposite his own Hitchcockian damsel.

Gotta see him in: Notorious (1946)

6. James Dean

No explanation needed.

Gotta see him in: Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

7. James Stewart

Oh J-Stew, the original Silver Fox. He’s often known now as the star of It’s a Wonderful Life, and his distinct drawl has become emblematic of old movies. But to have the full Jimmy Stewart experience, you need to see him play a photojournalist who solves a murder alongside the breathtakingly beautiful Grace Kelly.

Gotta see him in: Rear Window (1954)

8. Laurence Oliver

Olivier was the hot thing on the British stage in the mid-twentieth century. I mean hey, the Shakespearian actor was studly enough snag mega-babe Vivien Leigh (of Gone With the Wind fame). You haven’t lived till you’ve seen him smolder as the ultimate Byronic Hero opposite Joan Fontaine’s Jane-Eyre-esque heroin…

Gotta see him in: Rebecca (1940)

9. Gene Kelly

Aka: the guy who showed Hollywood that musical theater can be manly. Who doesn’t love a hunk who can dance?

Gotta see him in: Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

10. Clark Gable

Gable is the perfect picture of debonair as Rhett. Once you see him in this part, you’ll understand why your grandma is obsessed with this movie. What other roles has he played? Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.

Gotta see him in: Gone with the Wind (1939)

11. Marlon Brando

In his older age, he has become an icon as the titular character of the cult-classic The Godfather. But long before his career as a mob boss, his leather jacket game was strong as the alluring young leader of a biker gang. Talk about an offer you wouldn’t refuse…

Gotta see him in: The Wild One (1953)

I'm just a SoCal kind of gal who loves the sunshine. I just transferred to Cal Poly SLO and so far I'm digging it. Like many an English major before me, I like reading and writing, but I also really love movies, magazines, tv, blogs, etc. When I'm not consuming media some hobbies of mine that actually involve me going outside and moving are yoga, sailing, and playing with other people's dogs.
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.