The Triple Threat: Elena Jaloma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Elena Jaloma graduated in 2003 with her BA in Sociology and a minor in Ethnic Studies. Before attending Cal Lutheran, she had never heard of the school even though she lived half an hour away, but her best friend came to college here and she would come visit her a lot. She went on to get her MS and MPPA from Cal Lutheran as well. She is currently the director for the TRIO Program, Student Support Services at CLU. Read on to take a look into the life of the amazing Elena!

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: Why did you decide to become a counselor?

Elena Jaloma: I had always wanted to work in education and I guess because of that I thought I had to be a teacher in order to be in education. I didn’t think the position of being a teacher was a good place for me. I just couldn’t see myself doing it. I had a work study job working at the business office at Moorpark College which I really liked, it was so fun. I got to talk to students, help them pick out classes and they eventually started letting me do other things than just student worker stuff. I saw education through a different capacity, I realized this could be a job, a career. It got closer to graduation and I knew I wanted to do it. I worked for a law firm as my first job after college and then I worked for an online university. When I was working for the online university I realized I could go to grad school to be a counselor in which I learned about the counseling program at CLU through my sister in law. And I learned through grad school, what I wanted to focus in on.

HCCLU: What’s your favorite part about being a counselor?

EJ: The students and the people I work with and getting to meet people every day. The coolest part about getting to meet students in this program is getting to learn their stories, seeing somebody’s drive for something more, for them and their families. It’s incredible to work with somebody who wants something more and is willing to overcome challenges. It’s really cool to be part of that.

HCCLU: Why did you decide to pursue the director position for SSS?

EJ: Because of my colleague’s, Monica, encouragement. I really love counseling, that’s where I know my heart is. I am a counselor first, a director second. This was the next natural step for me to take.

HCCLU: What have you learned about yourself through being the director?

EJ: I have built confidence in myself. I guess you always think you have it, but during times when you have to stand up for something you see the confidence you have built. I’ve had to bring that out in myself more.

HCCLU: What’s a piece of advice that you want all your students to know?

EJ: To remember that no matter how hard it gets, or when things seem impossible, that they are possible. When you’re in the position where you want to give up, push against everything that is telling you to give up and do the exact opposite because it’s all worth it in the end.

HCCLU: Since you work with a lot of first generation students, and you yourself are a first generation student, what does that mean to you?

EJ: It’s an important task, something that is unique and special. This is something to be celebrated, to be proud of. It can also mean that you are holding the weight of others on your shoulders at times but it is worth every challenge.

HCCLU: I know that you also got your MS and MPPA from CLU, can you tell me a little bit about how that went?

EJ: My MS was because of my sister in law and realizing it was exactly the career path I wanted. Being a first generation student, grad school was something that nobody had ever been done, it was a new concept for everybody. I didn’t think about it as an option until I learned about it as a program. I really liked it, even better than undergrad. I met some incredible people. I opened myself up to so many new things. I really discovered the population I wanted to work with and what I wanted to do. I decided on my MPPA when I got the director job, I realized my counseling degree prepared me to be a counselor but it hadn’t prepared me to be a leader. I knew I needed to go back to school and learn a new way. The MBA program wasn’t for me, then I looked at the MPPA program and saw that it was more in line with what I wanted to do. It focused more on education and leadership which I knew I needed to help build my skills. I really liked it, it was so different from the counseling program and I got so much from it. I eventually want to get my EDD, education doctorate, but I’m not sure when the right time is for it. But I really want it for myself.

HCCLU: What do you hope your students take away from the SSS program?

EJ: I hope that by being part of this program they feel connected, supported, valued, that they know that they belong at Cal Lutheran, and that they celebrate the fact that they are a student of the program. It is a big deal to be the first in their family to go to college, it should not be hidden. They should be loud and proud about it. And that they leave here feeling like they made a connection with counselors and students as well.

HCCLU: When you’re not at work, what do you usually like to do?

EJ: Hanging out with my baby and a lot of Netflix watching.

HCCLU: What’s something that you want your son to learn from you?

EJ: I hope he learns to be a good person. To have a happy life. I hope that he learns the value of working hard for something you want and to not be afraid to work hard.

Leslie Madrigal

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello, my name is Leslie Madrigal. I am a senior at Cal Lutheran double-majoring in Criminal Justice and Spanish with a minor in Ethnic Studies! Besides being a part of Her Campus, I am also the Co-President for the Latin American Student Organization, Vice President of My Generation My Fight, and Secretary for the Criminal Justice Student Association. I work on campus at the Office of the President as well as having an off campus job in retail. And I volunteer for the Safe Passage Program through the Criminal Justice Department.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!