Surviving Parents Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Kick all of your empty mac ‘n’ cheese containers under the bed and try to figure out how that vacuum works that’s been sitting in its box since August – the ‘rents are in town! This year, parents weekend and Halloween are one in the same. For many of us, this will require quite a performance. For seventy-two hours, we’ll have to lead a double life only rivaled by Miley Cyrus in her Hannah Montana days. Here’s a play-by-play of what will be going on in your head this parents’ weekend:

Friday: “This meal is heavenly. What even is a dinner that doesn’t consist of adding water to a microwavable container? I’ll probably dream about this meal until Thanksgiving. No mom, I haven’t met any cute boys. Yes, I eat my veggies with every meal.”

Saturday: “Who gets up at 9:30 on a Saturday? *impatiently taps foot as football game runs a little longer than expected* Hey, come meet my roommates and friends (yes, they actually do exist). I might cry if mom tells them that embarassing childhood story that somehow never fails to make its way into a conversation. 

Sunday: “Wow, these hotel bathrooms are like sitting on a porcelain throne. Nothing like a clean toilet and inhaling a $30 brunch for free. Wait, can we swing by Target before you drop me off at my dorm? I need to grab my costume for tomorrow night. Maybe restock the fridge and buy some “much-needed” additions to the closet while we’re at it.

Parents weekend is that amazing weekend in the height of the mid-semester slump where Mom and Dad come to save you from your dissipating sanity. So, thank you parents for giving us some fresh air before we have to return to the rest of the semester. By the end of the weekend when it’s time to say those tearful good-bye’s, you’ll truly realize how much you’ve missed them. And remember, everyone else’s parents are just as embarassing as yours.

19. California girl with Southern roots. My favorite things include (but are not limited to) basking in the sun, buying things I can't afford, succulents, and the smiley face with a nose :-) For all inquiries you can contact me at krodgers@callutheran.edu
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!