Mr. Kingsmen: Nolan Monsibay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Photo by Natalie Kalamdaryan, courtesy of ASCLUG

Originally from Burbank, California; what some people call the “Media Capital of the World,” it is fitting that 2015 Mr. Kingsmen senior Nolan Monsibay has a definite passion for all things artsy.

Catch him performing in Cal Lutheran’s hilarious improv troop, singing in both the choir and our school’s Kingsmen Quartet. As if that wasn’t enough, Nolan has been part of multiple theater performances and also plays piano in the jazz band. He is currently studying Music here at Cal Lu, and works as the Department Assistant for Music. Oh, and aside from all he does regarding music and theater, he just happens to be a Resident Assistant as well. And ladies, this talented sweetheart is single, so you may want to find yourself at one of his next performances!

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: Congratulations on winning Mr. Kingsmen 2015! Why did you decide to participate in the event? 

Nolan Monsibay: “I was nominated by my peers to do it, so when I was asked about it I was happy to take part in it.”

HC: How did you come up with what to do for your talent?

NM: “I really don’t like planning ahead, and with the improv troupe being what most people know me for, I thought it would be fun to combine my musical skills with something totally made up.”

HC: Did you choose to be Mr. Hawaii or was it random?

NM: “I picked Hawaii because most of my clothes are pretty generic looking, except for my very bright blue Hawaiian shirt. Also I play the ukelele so I figured it would be an easy prop.”

HC: What is your favorite thing about Cal Lutheran?

NM: “The people. They are all mostly so open minded, friendly, and inclusive. I came to this school not knowing anyone, but am leaving this year with so many great friends.”

HC: Where is your favorite place to hang out on campus?

NM: “Kingsmen Park.”

HC: Do you have any inspiration or techniques that helps you with your always fantastic improv performances?

NM: “Everything I’ve learned is from my Coach, Lisa. She has been so helpful in tips on not only improv, but a mentor in life lessons as well.”

HC: Do you have any plans of acting/improv after graduation?

NM: “No, I’d love to, but I need to focus on my music.”

HC: What made you interested in choosing Music for your major?

NM: “My high school choir director was the one who got me into it. He was so beloved by all his students, and he was a great mentor. I had no music experience before and he helped me realize that music was something I was decent at and could pursue.”

HC: What are your goals for the future that lies after graduation?

NM: “I would like to become a choir director. I always knew I was destined to be in some type of service, and following in my high school mentor’s lead, I knew this would be the best way for me to give back to to help people and children find an outlet to enjoy.”

HC: Now for some ‘just for fun’ questions. What major would you have in an alternate universe?

NM: “Screen-writing.”

HC: Who is your favorite actor?

NM: “Steve Carell, because I love The Office. He can do no wrong, aside from Burt Wonderstone of course.”

HC: What is your favorite movie?

NM: “UP.”

HC: What is something not a lot of people know about you?

NM: “Um, I didn’t have my first kiss till I was almost 18.”

HC: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

NM: “Tokyo, Japan. My best friend is Japanese and I’ve been exposed to a lot of the culture and I would love to go see it for myself.”

HC: What do people say is your best quality?

NM: “I’m a good listener, polite, and a tad humorous (no kidding)”

HC: Do you have a life motto?

NM: “A well-built friendship never sinks.”

HC: How did it feel to win Mr. Kingsmen as your CLU journey comes to a close? 

NM: “I’m incredibly honored to have won it again! It was such a fun night and feeling the support of my peers is a very nice farewell present to my undergrad career here at CLU.”

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!