This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

To First-time International Traveler, 

Welcome to the world of new discoveries and adventures. Whether you are staying for a few days, a few weeks, a few months, or even a few years, you’re gonna have the time of your life. Make sure you have your passport and plane ticket in your hand before and after your flight. Leave a couple of hours before your flight. Traffic is unpredictable. Once you’re in the airport, you are on your way and left your comfortable home for a time. Airport security will not be a pain if you wear no-laced shoes. Tying and untying shoelaces will be a time cruncher for you and the people behind you in line. Dress comfortably especially on overnight flights. If you must, bring minimal makeup with you in your carry-on bag. Bring a portable charger, a book, or a portable gaming system like a Nintendo DS. You will be bored waiting for your flight. Airplanes are pretty germ-centric because they bring people around the globe, so bring some hand sanitizer or something to cover your mouth and nose. Being bored on the plane sucks. Luckily, Netflix has a new offline viewing feature if you aren’t able to pass out on the plane. Or, the plane flight has personalized in-flight entertainment. Once you land at your destination, be sure you have everything that you’ve taken out of your bag. Be patient, wait your turn during immigration because it could take a while. When you’re out there in a new country, feel free to explore the smaller destinations as much as the tourist destinations. Take a lot of pictures on snapchat memories so, you can save your memory storage for useful screenshots. Make sure you know what time you can check into your accommodations.   Go out and explore the world. Get lost, make mistakes, and embrace the chaos of traveling because there’s always something that’s going to go wrong.

Bon voyage,

An experienced traveler.

Emily Yoshida

Cal Lutheran

Hi I'm Emily and Im a HCCLU Alum!         
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!