Being An Athlete, with Kate Cochran!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Kaitlyn Grace Cochran, who mainly goes by Kate, was born on January 23rd, 1998 in Southwest Washington to Terri and Edward Cochran. She has two half-siblings, 35 year-old Tia and 34 year-old Brian, and one full sibling, 30 year-old Breanne.

Kate has been involved in sports since she was five years old and here at California Lutheran University, she does track and field. She is a thrower who competes in shotput, discus, and hammer throw and she absolutely loves it! The official season for this year starts in January, but she and the whole team have been practicing since Halloween.When it comes to practice and exercise, Kate knows a lot. She has lifting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:30am and practice at 2:30pm every day from Monday-Friday. Her and the rest of the team do a lot of strength and conditioning, and lifting is their main focus in the off-season. During their season, the throwers focus on strength as well as a lot of technique work, which just so happens to involve drills (not an actual tool drill!).Since the beginning of her journey of becoming the athlete that she is today, it has become her passion. Being an athlete is something she loves and thoroughly enjoys. For Kate, it’s not about the title or the power that may come with it, it’s about the community that comes with being an athlete. Just like any other passion, Kate’s passion also requires a lot of sacrifice, but she knows that those who work hard are the ones that are remembered in the end.

Kate also has other hobbies, some of which involve the theater. She started acting when she was in the fourth grade and she immediately fell in love with the stage and community. Theater has given Kate another outlet for expression along with the ability to touch others (not just physically!). Other than theater and athletics, Kate also enjoys photography and spending time with friends.

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!