How to Balance Work, School and a Social Life in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

There is a graphic floating around the Internet that says: College: Good grades, social life or sleep. Pick two. Balancing just those three is tough, but what if you had to throw a part-time job or internship into the mix?

Freshmen year I was lucky enough to have loans and the support of my parents. Sophomore year was a different story. Tuition raised, the economy went downhill and I found myself filling out job applications.
Almost two years later I am working at the same place. Although it wasn’t easy, I have learned how to balance work and school. Here are some tips I learned along the way!

1. Get Organized

With a new semester starting, your life will probably get busy. You might have multiple assignments due during the week, work, and extracurricular activities. Learning time management will benefit you not only now, but also in the future. Owning a planner is a good start. If you own a Smartphone, Google Calendar is very useful to help keep you stay on top of your tasks.

2. Let your manager know your schedule

First, make sure that your workplace is flexible and can work around your class schedule. Most places in Mt. Pleasant are flexible because they realize it is a college town. Once you start working you will be asked what your availability is. Make sure you know what time and day you can work during the week. Do not feel bad if it is only a couple of days. School should always come first.

3. Don’t procrastinate

It is so easy these days to jump on the computer to write a paper, but eventually find yourself on Facebook and Twitter. When you have an assignment due Thursday try to work a little bit on it each day, that way the day it is due you will have it mostly done. Doing this also leaves time to double-check your assignment to make sure you did it right.

4. Prioritize

Going to parties and bars are a regular part of the college experience. However, sometimes you do need to say “no” to stay in and do homework or study instead. Along with that, once in a while you will have multiple assignments due the same day. Prioritizing which assignment is due first or is the hardest can be helpful. Personally, I usually do the easiest assignment first just to get it out of the way.

5. Finally, manage stress

Let’s be realistic, you are going to get stressed out and feel overwhelmed. Many students that don’t work are stressed out enough just with homework. I know it may seem impossible but you need to make some time for yourself as well. Find something that relaxes you whether it’s running, writing, or anything else you like to do.

With some practice, you will be a master at multi-tasking and time management in no time! Some of these tips will help you in your career, so learn them while in college and you’ll be good to go. Good luck this semester!

I am a CMU student majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Journalism. I have a interest in hair and make up. I'm very opinonated and I dont pick sides. When I am not working or doing homework, I like to go out and take in the college experience. (Go Chips!) I'm a country girl at heart with a dream to look out my window to a view of tall buildings and city lights. IHope you like my posts! Follow me @CassandraWolf
Laura Szatkowski is a senior at Central Michigan University graduating in December, 2012. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in English. Laura has had numerous internships in a wide variety of industries throughout college. Laura is passionate about all things PR and social media related and is looking forward to traveling and working outside of Michigan after graduation.