6 Reasons Why Having Best Girlfriends is a Necessity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Written with my best friend: Amanda Wood

I don’t mean the fourteen girls that are tagged in your pictures when you go out, I mean the few girls that will be your future bridesmaids. We all have those girlfriends we meet at parties on the weekends, but we mean the girls who would stay in with you on a Saturday night.

1. Lets be honest..what would a queen bee do without her minions? Twenty years from now who will you still be having wine Wednesday and reliving your college memories with? Your best girlfriends. The girls who became your other halves because they lived in the room across the hall, and who loved you through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Our true girls love us at our best and remind us of that at our worst.

2. Stand by you. We all make mistakes and we all wish that we could take back a few experiences life has thrown our way. Your girlfriends will stand by your side even when you feel like you don’t deserve it. These are the girls that will support you in all the decisions that you make in life, even if it is not the best for everyone else, or even yourself; they will support you as long as you are happy.

3. Dream on girl. Your best girls should encourage you, tell you that you can when you say you can’t, and ALWAYS support and help you in achieving your wildest dreams. Even if this means face timing from New York to L.A., they will support you in all of your wild endeavors, and be there for you when you succeed, or will push you forward to bigger and better things if you fail. Your best girls will always be your number one fans.

4. Experience Life. ROAD TRIP. The kind of girls you can jump in the car with and head straight to the city for a weekend away, or the ones you can drive around aimlessly with, with no destination talking for what seems like days. Your best girl friends are the ones who want to be a part of your life every step of the way in any way that they can. These are the girls you spend saturday night with and wake up next to sunday morning laughing about the crazy adventures from the night before.

5. Always honest, even if its brutal. “You have something in your teeth girl,” “your boob is totally hanging out,” “that outfit is just not cute” or “the guy you are dancing with at the club looks like he may be carrying a few diseases,” LOL. On a serious note these girls will tell you how it is, even when you do not want to believe it. The ones that will always listen and support you through everything, but will also put in their advice to bring you back to reality. These girls will tell you what you need to hear even when you may not agree, deep down they always have your best interest at heart.

6. Love you for who you are, who you will be, and who you never want to be again. At this age who the hell are we anyways? Your girlfriends love every version of your confused college self. The days you think you are a philosopher on life, the days you don’t even know what life is, and the days you are just riding the damn struggle bus. These are the girls who will love you during every single stage and at the end of your college career, they will love the woman you’ve become.

These girls will watch you grow and grow with you. They will love you through your lowest points, worst mistakes, proudest moments, and best days, and through all of that you will be there for those girls just the same and continue to help one another become the best version of yourselves, each passing day.

Natalie is a Senior at Central Michigan University. She is working toward a Bachelor of Science degree with an emphasis on Broadcast and Cinematic Arts. Natalie has been a CMich Contributor since October of 2013 and represents our chapter as our Social and Events Coordinator. Natalie has a deep passion for pop culture and entertainment and she is looking forward to a career in entertainment television or news as a Multimedia Journalist and/or Producer. Until then, she will continue to be a part of our chapter, to participate in News Central 34 and E Central, remain an active member of NBS, and continue to make strides towards making her dreams come true.