This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Lights. Camera. Action! Award season comes to its climax with the 2017 Oscars. While stars like Viola Davis and Mahershala Ali snagged major awards, we simply can not ignore the fashion actors were rocking. From royal ball gowns to old Hollywood homages, the stars were anything less than dull on the red carpet. Here are some of our favorite looks from this years Academy Awards!

Taraji P. Henson

Taraji is a bonafide fashion icon at this point. From capturing our eyes every week on “Empire” with her dramatic and fiery outfits, to mesmerizing audiences during celeb appearances, it is easy to say that Taraji can wear anything and people will be talking. The “Hidden Figures” star looked gorgeous in a navy blue, off-the-shoulder velvet gown with a high slit to show some leg. Paired with a diamond V-shaped necklace, Taraji gave us va va voom in an elegant yet classic manner.

Jessica Biel

Jessica Biel shinned bright in a Kaufman Franco ensemble with Tiffany jewelry to match. The actress must have channelled the Oscar statue, showing off her gilded and flawless silhouette. Like a pro, Jessica made sure to keep the makeup light and natural, hair sleek and intact. Even her man Justin Timberlake would agree, we can not stop the feeling of Jessica’s glamour.

Ruth Negga

Talk about your lady in red!  “Loving” star stepped out in a  cherry-colored gown with sheer panels and delicate lace details, making the this long-sleeved number anything but a snooze fest.  The dress was custom made by Valentino and nicely paired with Irene Neuwirth jewelry.

Janelle Monae

We are used to seeing Janelle Monae rocking the Grammys or MTV Awards, but lately Janelle has hung up her dancing shoes and traded them for red bottom heels. This award season has been an incredible moment in her career, coming into an acting spotlight and stunning audiences worldwide. And for the “Hidden Figures” and “Moonlight” star’s first trip to the Academy Awards, she did not hold anything back. Arriving in an ornate Elie Saab Haute Couture, Janelle’s fairy-tale gown decked with layers of diamonds was by far the the evening’s most dramatic look. A queen in a regal ensemble, Janelle reigned the red carpet.

Octavia Spencer

In a silver Marchesa gown with delicate feather details, Octavia made a graceful entrance on Sunday evening. From the subtle color to cut and overall styling, the Oscar-winning actress has never looked more gorgeous! She paired the look with drop earrings and light, natural makeup. What a silver belle!

Brie Larson

In a curve-hugging velvet gown with a ruffled train, Brie Larson look absolutely gorgeous wearing Oscar de la Renta. While Brie could have stepped up her hair game, there was no doubt that this actress can wear a dress, and wear it well. We recognize a slay when we see one!

Hailee Steinfeld

This sheer beauty gives us all hope. At just 20-years-old, Hailee Steinfeld is becoming quite the red carpet starlet. In a floral, high-neck number, Hailee radiated light, girly, fresh and youthfulness, the ingredients to a true showstopper. And just check out that figure! Hailee, is there no wrong you can do?

Chrissy Teigen

In a white gown with a sexy thigh-high slit, Chrissy Teigen looked white hot on the red carpet. The beauty wore a Zuhair Murad gown, complete with gold beading, a matching beaded belt, floor-length cape. With her husband John Legend right by her side, Chrissy exuded happiness Sunday evening–a pure goddess among the stars.

The Men of Moonlight

Amid all the tulle and sparkles, we often forget about our men strutting the red carpet. But all eyes were on “Moonlight” stars Trevante Rhodes, Ashton Sanders and Alex R. Hibbert, who play the main character in the Best Picture winner. The trio wore nothing else but the iconic Calvin Klein by Raf Simons. In a sea of elaborate and sometimes questionable menswear, the “Moonlight” stars’ clean, elegant tuxedos were a breath of fashion fresh air. Thank you for reminding us of the beauty within simplicity and class.

The Academy Awards have always been a place where stars don the creme de la creme of fashion and this year was no different.  From velvet to sheer dresses and classic silhouettes to some more experimental pieces, it was clear that the stars were out for a win both on and off the carpet.  Still it’s clear there were some true winners–Janelle Monae and Taraji P. Henson, we’re looking at you!

Sophomore Communication Studies major with a minor in Writing Studies from Long Island, New York. Member of Bowling Club and Ridge Report