This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

While we Charlestonians can certainly appreciate a cooler change in the weather this time of year, this change can often lead to an unfortunate seasonal occurrence: sickness. Being sick is never fun, and it always seems to happen at the worst possible time for us collegiates. Although sometimes it is unavoidable, usually illness can be prevented so long as you are taking proper care of yourself during this seasonal change. Simple daily routines play a huge role in our health and well-being. Here are some tips on how to avoid getting sick during this time of year. Don’t let an unwanted illness keep you from acing a test or going on that date you’ve been looking forward to all week! Stay happy, healthy, and focused.

Get Enough Sleep

Sleep is a crucial component to our health, and getting an adequate amount is very important as a college student. Staying up all night whether it be to study for an exam or go out to the bars is never a good idea, especially when you have things to accomplish the next day. Your body needs sleep to function properly and to maintain a stable immune system. Sleep deprivation may hinder your body’s ability to fight off infection.

Wash Your Hands

We are constantly exposed to bacteria everyday when attending classes on our campus, especially during cold and flu season. Door handles, bathroom stalls, and desks are all examples of where we can pick up germs from one of the thousands of CofC students during our day. The easiest way to avoid and get rid of these germs is to be conscious of what you are touching, and wash your hands frequently. Carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer is a great way to clean your hands during the day. Also, avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible. Those areas are particularly sensitive to flu viruses.

Clean Your Dorm, Apartment, or Home

Most college students become ill their freshman year because they are exposed to so many people at once, and also because they are living in a new and different type of environment. College students tend to be lax in their cleaning habits while away from parents. While it may not seem to be a big deal, the accumulation of bacteria that is building up throughout your living area may be the cause of what is making you sick. Dust, disinfect, and maintain a healthy living environment. You’ll be surprised at how noticeably better you’ll feel.

Don’t Eat Junk

It is no surprise that healthy eating goes hand-in-hand with healthy living.  If you are always eating take out and junk food, then your body will inevitably become more susceptible to illness. Eat fruits, veggies, and drink orange juice. Try to avoid simple starches and sugary foods. Taking daily vitamins is also a great way to get essential nutrients. Fitness Magazine has come up with 6 foods that actually prevent sickness. The foods listed are vegetarian chili, fresh clementines, roast beef sandwiches, chicken soup, tuna salad, and ginger tea. Also, it is important to stay hydrated at all times throughout the day. Drink plenty of water in order to stay healthy and avoid sickness this season!

CofC Student Health Services will be offering free flu vaccines Monday, October 21 from 9am-12pm and 2pm-4pm in the Stern Student Center Lobby.

Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.
Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.