neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Beat “Stressed Out September”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As the 2014-2015 school year swings into full gear, you may be feeling overwhelmed, stressed, homesick, or all of the above. A new academic year brings forth a ton of changes such as your schedule, friend group, roommates, and professors. As you adjust to these changes, you may be feeling as if you just can’t handle it all. Don’t give in to the stresses of daily life! Take a step back and relax with these simple tips to help you de-stress. 

1. Breathe…Literally 

As you schedule out your day or week with your perfectly patterned planner, be sure to make time for relaxation. If you feel as if you have so much to do that you absolutely do not have time to take a break, this is when you need a break the most (even if “taking a break” is limited to shutting off all electronics and taking a 5-minute breather). Meditation can be the relaxation that gets you through your hectic afternoon. You can attempt to meditate by closing your eyes and focusing on your breath. Deep breaths are relaxing and necessary to keep you grounded on a busy Monday morning. You can meditate on your trolley ride to Harbor Walk, or in the morning before you start your day. When you start to feel overworked and overstressed, remember to just breathe! 

2. Don’t forget to talk to loved ones 

Remember those cookies mom always made whenever you had a bad day? Or how your younger sibling always managed to make you laugh? Don’t forget about your family and friends from back home who know how to comfort you in any situation. Being a college kid and adjusting to the independence of being “on your own” is tough. Venting to your friends about that jerk who never called will remind you that it really is his loss. And when all you want is dad’s homemade soup, don’t forget to call him! Just talking to your mom/dad/grandparent will make you feel better. Staying connected to your family makes a world of a difference. As the saying goes, “mother knows best.” Your family will prove to be a wonderful source of comfort and knowledge during times of stress. 

3. Take advantage of your resources 

Office Hours are here to help you! When your math notes start to look like a bunch of mismatched numbers and letters (oh yes, math has letters now!), go visit your professor. Asking for clarification will save you a lot of time and agony as you stress out about Friday’s quiz. Office hours and the Center for Student Learning (CSL) on Addlestone’s first floor are great tools that should be taken advantage of. 

4. Say “no” 

“Would you like to join Biology Club?”, “Want to hit the beach later?”, “Could you proof-read my paper for me?” With college comes opportunities. Many offers will be incredibly tempting, and you may want to do it all. Unfortunately, sometimes there aren’t enough hours in the day. Remember to say no when necessary. If your friend really wants to do X, but you have other plans or were planning on studying, don’t be afraid to say “no thanks.” Accepting too many offers at once will overwhelm you. Instead of setting yourself up for failure, be aware of your limitations and plan accordingly.

5. Control what you can control 

Much of our time is spent worrying about future events. While sometimes worrying can be used as a method to plan ahead and prepare for all possible outcomes, it’s exhausting. The sooner we realize that we cannot control everything, the better. Worrying about how you need an A on that paper will not get you an A. Beating yourself up about how you overslept your 9 A.M will not allow you to go back to wake up in time. You cannot control everything, but you can control your reaction to it. Rather than worrying about the future and dwelling on the past, stay in the moment. Stop, breathe and reboot. What can you do right now that will benefit your future?

photo credit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/freshman-year-mistakes_n_386608…

Catherine Yetman is a sophomore from New Jersey. She loves yoga and spending her free time at the beach. She is studying psychology at the College of Charleston in hopes of becoming a psychologist one day.
Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.