This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

The weather is finally starting to get warmer and the semester is coming to an end, which means whether you’re ready or not, bikini season is right around the corner. If you’re like me you’ve been trying to forget this because you really love chicken fingers and your drunken munchies are a constant killer. We want to look skinny, but we also want to eat an entire box of Girl Scout cookies. I feel you girls! Here are a few simple ways to shed a few extra calories for those of us who don’t want to work out. 

1. Always pick the parking spot that is FURTHER away

Yes, this is very simple, but if the weather permits it is extra exercise that won’t even feel like exercise.

2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator

We can all be lazy sometimes and it’s easier to just extend your arm to push a button as opposed to walking up a few flights of stairs, but stairs are an awesome workout for your legs and butt! Try to take them as often as possible!

3. Walk to class as often as possible

This may be hard for most of the year for us Buffalo people because it is so cold, but now that the weather permits it, take that extra time to walk to class and do it with friends too! Taking a nice stroll with your friends will be enjoyable, help burn calories and you can enjoy the nice spring weather that we desperately hope for all winter.

4. Avoid Sugary Drinks

DRINK WATER. A lot of times we don’t realize how many calories are in some of the drinks we order from Dunkin’ Donuts or Starbucks and Soda and Juice are not much better! Water is ultimately your best option and overall good for not just weight loss, but also good for your overall health.

5. Eat your food Slowly

Eating slowly will make you feel more full, faster and allow you to stay full for longer, so even though your food probably looks great and you want to stuff your face, take your time! The food isn’t going anywhere.

6. Drink Coffee or Tea

It has been proven that coffee and tea can boost your metabolism, so take a few minutes out of your morning to sit down and have a cup of coffee or tea while you’re reading our articles.

7. Limit intake of foods with high salt content and sugar

Trust me, I know we love nothing more than to sit on the couch, watch netflix and eat ice cream out of the container and this is okay to do….SOMETIMES. Once in a while you just need to connect with the inner football player apetite in you, but don’t do it all the time. And if you eat a lot one day, maybe go easy the next to balance your diet out!

And who knows…maybe one day we’ll look like her:

Probably not though! 

Leah Wentka is currently a sophomore attending the University at Buffalo. She was born and raised in Long Island, New York and is an aspiring communications major. She has a borderline unhealthy obsession with Oreos and maybe even a slight addiction to watching food videos on Facebook. She enjoys working out, creative writing and going out with her friends. When she's not in Buffalo, she is soaking up the sun on the Long Island beaches or out wandering in New York City. Instagram: leahwentka Twitter: leahwentka