What Our Presidential Candidates Aren’t Talking About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

This election has been one of the most – if not, the most – controversial in history. There’s no doubt about that. The two competing sides are polar opposites – but that’s not why we’re here today. No, this article is dedicated to something much bigger than the current presidential race. There’s something much more substantial, something much more critcal, something much more pressing than any of that political mudslinging. 

It’s called global warming.

Nobody wants to talk about it, but global warming should be the world’s number one concern. It matters more than anything. That’s just not debatable. You know that future we spend so much time arguing over? Well, there just won’t be a future to debate if we keep sweeping this critical issue under the rug. There’s no way around it. The sad thing is, we have the complete potential to invest in clean energy – it’s the coal companies, the oil companies, and the gas companies that are clinging to their big-business profit margins, they’re holding us back. They’re putting money into the pockets of politicians to push their corrupt agendas along. It’s frightening, sickening, and absolutely unconscionable. It’s amazing and confounding that some people just refuse to believe that climate change is real. Scientists have confirmed that global warming is real – and they know it for a fact; it’s as certain to them now as smoking is bad for your health. 

Neither of our two major political candidates are taking this issue as seriously as they should. But one blatantly denies its existence. It’s so frustrating – because, ultimately, none of this matters if we don’t have a viable future to invest in. This year, I implore you to think of future generations when you go to the polls to vote. Think of the kind of world you want for your children and grandchildren – one that’s lush and green and full of life? Or one that’s cracked, torn, and dying? There’s still time to repair the damage we’ve done. There’s still time to cultivate and create green energy. There’s still time to implement laws that will protect our world. This isn’t just a national concern, it’s a global one. But the United States should be leading the way. 

Terrorism, of course, is a huge issue. So is the economy, taxation, and the highly contested question of abortion. But none of it – none of it – will matter if we can’t live and breathe. Our air is constantly polluted and poisoned by horrendous, damaging fossil fuels – we need to stop this, and stop it now, before it’s too late. 

They say it just takes one person to make a difference – but what if we all acted out on this issue? Do you know how much we could accomplish? We need to make our government hear us; we need to make the world hear us. Before it’s too late, we need to act.