The Winter Workout Slump: How to Motivate Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

When the leaves begin to fall and the temperature quickly drops, our motivation to make that daily trip to the gym invariably begins to wane.  While it’s tempting to drown ourselves in oversized sweaters and indulge in winter’s most beloved comfort foods with our friends, we may be simultaneously sabotaging the health routines we typically hold to such high standards throughout the rest of the year. 

Fitting in that cardio session when temperatures hit the low 30s is less than ideal, but if you can get yourself in the right mindset, it is possible to conquer your winter workout with a few helpful tips from HC Bucknell.

1. Stick to a Schedule

Just like you roll out of bed for your 8 a.m. class each morning, make your workout just as much of a priority as the Wednesday night mixer you just scribbled into your planner.  Set a designated time to work out each day, and treat it like an appointment you made that you can’t cancel.  Class ends at 10 a.m. and your schedule is free until 3 p.m.?  Start going to the gym right after that morning class, and soon it will become so routine that you’ll find it hard not to go. 

2. Work Out at Home

The current craze in the world of fitness happens to be something you can easily do from the comfort of your dorm roomHIIT, which stands for high intensity interval training, is a type of workout meant to burnt lots of fat, increase aerobic stamina and build muscle. HIIT workouts include a mix of low to high intensity intervals that integrate activities such as push-ups, mountain climbers, burpees, jumping rope, squats, and much more.  The best things about HIIT? The only equipment you need is your body, so there are no excuses.

3. Make Your Mornings Worthwhile

We’ve all had those days in which we juggle 3 group meetings, endless hours of class, and receive that not-so-great grade on an exam.  Especially after these long, draining days, trudging to the gym, cold and exhausted, is the last thing we want to do. Optimizing your mornings can nip this problem in the bud. If you have the chance to fit in a quick run right after your alarm goes off, or you can get to the gym before your day starts to get super hectic, just do it.  You’ll have peace of mind for the rest of the day knowing that your workout is finished.

4. Find a Workout Buddy

Is your best friend a Soul-Cycle fanatic?  Has your roommate recently turned yogi on you?  Find a friend that shares or inspires your passion for fitness, and make it an effort to attend those Tuesday/Thursday night kickboxing classes together.  This way, your workout will be a lot more fun, as you’ll get to focus on catching up with your friend, not on the burn you’re about to feel.

The payoff of actually finishing a winter workout can actually be even greater than it is during brighter, warmer months.  Getting your blood flowing and boosting your endorphins is something that can be extremely beneficial for your physical and mental health, especially during chilly and depressing months. 

Sources:

Emmy is currenty a senior at Bucknell University studying Managing for Sustainability.  She's a believer in horoscopes, a Jersey girl at heart, and a lover of all things outdoorsy.