What I Learned As A Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

When I was younger, during family dinners at the end of every school day, my parents would always ask me, “Blair, how was school today? What did you learn?”  So, when I come home from my first year of being at college, I am definitely expecting a similar question.  While my parents will want to hear that I learned about national sovereignty in my international politics class and about the language of southern literature I learned in my English class (which I did), I am going to take away much more from my experience as a freshman at Bucknell. I think it is necessary to share what I learned as one freshman to the next Bucknellian. 

I learned…

• It is perfectly acceptable to hoard fruit from the Caf.
  • That as much I complain about Caf food I am going to miss it dearly.
  • What (almost) all of the names of the downtown houses are (and I officially know my way around St. Catherine, 6th and 7th Street).
  • To try going to every frat house to see at which house you have the most fun.  Freshman year is the time to try new things and not do the same thing every night.

• Avoid ordering late night Flying Bison or late night Pizza Phi if you’re worried about the Freshman 15. On the other hand, you should probably order one of them because they both just taste SO delicious!

• You are bound to run into your hookup in the Caf or the library.
  • Boys will be boys.  It’s okay to be single your freshman year; embrace it!  This is your year to have fun.

• Pronto is one of the best lunch spots in town, and Sushihanna twice a week is completely acceptable.

• It doesn’t matter if you live uphill or downhill—there are positives to both (uphill is closer to classes and the library while downhill is closer to town).
  • Find your nook early on in the library; it will be helpful when you have to write that essay you’ve been procrastinating to write.
  • Develop close relationships with your professors.
  • You will become really close with the people on your hall
  • To compromise and communicate with your roommate.  You have to live with this person for a year so it’s not worth fighting with them constantly.
  • To not do my laundry on Sundays…everyone does.
  • To not be afraid of getting involved.  You will end up meeting so many people while participating in something you love doing! Be open to trying to new things.

• Try the exercise classes at KLARC, they are a fun way to work out and get in great shape!
  • It’s okay to make friends outside your friend group. Freshman year is definitely the time to get to know as many new people as you can!

Overall, I learned to take advantage of everything possible at Bucknell during my freshman year.  It goes by faster than you think; I can’t believe it’s already over! You’re only a freshman in college once, so have fun! 

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!