Weight Watchers: Collegiette Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Universal fact number one: losing weight in college is difficult. Universal fact number two: this predetermined challenge is discussed even before most people arrive for their first day of school. Murmured from ear to ear in hushed tones, the notion of the freshman fifteen is manifested into something that everyone knows about, but is typically thought of either with fear or the idea that, “that won’t happen to me.” Unfortunately, due to a number of factors, the freshman fifteen often does plague freshman girls (and boys) more often than not. The huge lifestyle change is often the biggest factor contributing to weight gain in college. There is a lack of regularly scheduled meals, a lack of structure in terms of physical activity, and an increase of stress from simply being at college.

In order to avoid gaining or keeping the freshman fifteen, and to be healthier as well, there are a number of long-term diets and lifestyle changes available. One that is wildly known but is not as popular with college students is Weight Watchers, a program that allots each food a certain number of points and each subscriber a certain number of points allowed each day. Points are something unique to the Weight Watchers user and the equation for calculating how many points a food item is worth takes into account more than just calories. In addition to the daily points, each Weight Watchers subscriber is given an extra 49 points per week so that they can eat a meal out if they so choose or have an extra desert one night without feeling guilty.

The program is designed not to be a diet, but rather a lifestyle change, which is something some college students could benefit from. College is a stepping-stone to the real world and if healthy eating habits are formed in these four years, it is likely they will carry over once graduation rolls around.

Counting calories in college is difficult. Counting points in college is nearly impossible. Between the Bison and the Caf, it is very difficult to be sure the portion you are eating is the right desired size. In addition, it is impossible to know just what is in what you are eating because you didn’t make the dish yourself. This makes it challenging to calculate the points value for said meal. One factor that many attribute to rapid weight gain in college is alcohol. Alcohol has an underestimated amount of calories and thus it is also high in points. College students know that alcohol is bad for them and yet they drink it anyway.

For me, Weight Watchers is a plan that works. Through the rigid rules, I found myself steadily, healthily losing weight for the first time in my life. I tried other diets in the past with little success: it was too hard to stick to them. They were fad diets that worked for about a week but not much longer. One example of this type of “fad diet” is the Sacred Heart diet: a one-week cleanse that promises to rid you of 7 to 17 pounds if followed correctly. The problem with this type of diet is that after that one week, you gain the weight right back. It is not a feasible long-term diet. Weight Watchers, on the other hand, is marketed as a plan that works for the long term, which is its best attribute.

Although losing weight on Weight Watchers in college is difficult, it is doable. There are multiple meeting places around Lewisburg and despite the difficulties being on a Weight Watchers plan imposes, it is definitely a worthwhile investment that I would recommend to anyone ready to make a lifestyle change. There is a meeting on Wednesdays at 10:30 at St. John’s Church in Lewisburg and one at Trinity Lutheran Church in Milton on Tuesdays at 5:30. They leaders are friendly and inviting and everyone in the room will be in the same boat as you.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com