Valentine’s Day Done Right: Eight Movies for All Relationship Statuses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Pink, red, hearts, cupid, teddy bears, and chocolate (lots of chocolate) – Valentine’s Day is among us all again. And as that big 1-4 rolls up on our February calendars, we either gleam with smiles or cry with angst. However, whether you’re single, taken, or just simply confused as to what your status is, Netflix is always there for you. With Valentine’s Day landing on a Saturday this year, nothing seems more fitting than a bottle of rosé, a blanket, and a movie. Her Campus Bucknell has compiled a list of movies for all relationship statuses.

“Blue Valentine”

Status: Love Sucks/Valentine’s Day is a scheme created by Hallmark to sell cards

“Blue Valentine” will justify your assertion that love is full of disappointments. Watch Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams’ relationship fail miserably as alcohol, cheating, and all things bad come into play. Watching this movie will leave you feeling happier than ever – because if a relationship with Ryan Gosling can fail, is there hope for any of us single ladies?

“Dirty Dancing”

Status: Young, Defiant Love

It’s both the movie and the man we fantasize about. Your new and young love status perfectly matches the aura of the film. Watching Johnny and Baby fall in love, all whilst dirty dancing, will make you want to jump up and bump. Who cares if daddy doesn’t like his major?

“10 Things I Hate About You”

Status: I’m Single/I don’t need no man.

School annoys you, society annoys you, and basically people in general just annoy you. You’re too cool to conform to society’s norms, and you sure as hell are too cool to date that frat guy. But, maybe watch this movie and give him a chance. Watch as Julia Stiles’ character Kat, proud and feminist-driven, opens her heart to bad-boy Patrick, played by Heath Ledger (need I say more?).

“The Devil Wears Prada”

Status: The Work-Work-Work Girl

You are the type of girl who will not let anyone, and we mean anyone, get in the way of your degree or your career. You’re driven and passionate about your work. Watch as Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep struggle to find the balance between career and relationship success. You’ll be delighted to see both come out on top. Maybe you’ll even reconsider how many hours you spend in the library and Career Center.

“A Walk to Remember”

Status: Everlasting Love

Grab a box of tissues because this movie is going to make you cry. Watch this coming of age film as rebellious Landon Carter (Shane West) falls madly in love with good-girl Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore). You’ll be brought to tears by their devotion to each other, even when they become divided by the inevitable. Snuggle up next to him and hold him tight…you never know what will happen!

“Love Actually”

Status: Basically any kind of relationship at this point

This film covers it all…the best friends, the unknown/hidden love, the scorned, the cheater, the wrong, the right, the family. The movie, composed of ten different and separate stories, highlights the interlinked connections as the holidays approach. If you have yet to define yourself as one status, watch this film. Bonus: Hugh Grant and Colin Firth are in it, and we all love a yummy British accent.

“The Notebook”

Status: Madly in Love

This classic is so beyond perfect-it’ll make you laugh, cry, and give you hope that a relationship can get through anything. But seriously, if Noah and Allie can get through a war, daddy-issues, an engagement, and dementia, we can get through second semester. Watch as young, hopeless love progresses and strengthens with time. More importantly, take notes on the make-out scene in the rain.

And in theaters…

“50 Shades of Grey”

Status: Bangin’ Love/Don’t watch this with your parents.

It’s the movie we’ve all been thinking about, but won’t admit. You read this book within a day because you just couldn’t put it down. Grab a group of girlfriends, or even your boyfriend, and head to the theater. You’re bound to be uncomfortable at points, but who can resist drooling over Christian Grey’s body. Your guilty pleasure is our little secret. 

Bucknell University 2018
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com