The Ultimate Guide to Parent’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

“So, what do you want to do over Parent’s Weekend?”

As a junior, this is not the first time my mom’s asked me this open-ended question: And as a junior, this is not the first time I’ve had to answer with the usual “I have no idea…[insert subject change].”

So how are we to show our parents, grandparents, and siblings a good time over this upcoming weekend? Unlike big state schools and universities, Bucknell’s campus isn’t exactly smack in the middle of a booming metropolis. But for a small town in the middle of nowhere, Lewisburg and the area surrounding it has a lot to offer. Luckily, Her Campus Bucknell has compiled the Ultimate Guide to Bucknell Parent’s Weekend:

Before They Arrive:

1. Make sure you’ve made reservations at restaurants that require them. You don’t want to be in the awkward situation come Friday when you’ve realized you forgot to make a reservation at Elizabeth’s.
  2. Predict the weekend’s vibe: Are your parents willing to walk/drive around Lewisburg and surrounding towns, or do they want to do something more low-key? Shooting them a text now will help you organize the best possible weekend for them.
  3. Make your room/house/ apartment look presentable. Do your laundry, Clorox wipe surfaces, and throw away last Wednesday night’s Domino box collection.

Friday Night

The vibe: They’re just getting in, and depending on how long their trip was, they’re probably hungry. This is your opportunity to take them to your favorite casual restaurants for a low-key night out. Just ten minutes down the road is Skeeter’s Pit BBQ, one of my all-time favorite places to sit outside, enjoy a pulled chicken sandwich, and marvel at the gorgeous overlook the restaurant has of the Susquehanna River. Afterwards, take them to the Lewisburg Freez for a quick dessert before you head back to campus and they head back to their hotel.

Saturday Morning

The vibe: They got in late last night, and so did you (or very early, rather). Take them to the brunch your club/Greek organization is hosting. Not only will it give your parents a sense of what you’ve been up to on campus, but it’ll also give them a chance to meet your friends’ parents.

The vibe: You get a phone call at 9 AM – They’re ready to start their day! Climb out of bed, take a shower, and don’t panic. If they’re in the mood for a long, leisurely breakfast, take them to Café Stream, or Cherry Alley. By the time you’re finished with your pancakes and eggs, it’ll be near noon.

Saturday Afternoon

The vibe: It’s a beautiful day (like most Parent’s Weekends are) and they want to spend most of it outside. Begin your afternoon with a quick tour of Bucknell (if they’ve never been) or a “highlights” walk to show them what’s new on campus (“Look what my tuition’s getting me!). Next, walk around downtown Lewisburg and pop into Dwelling’s, Retrah and Wilson Ross (An excellent way to go date party dress shopping). If you have a house downtown, host a BBQ lunch with your friends and their parents – if not, make sure to stop by a Super to show your parents what Saturdays mean to you.

Saturday Night

The vibe: Super Saturday got the best of them. They want to go to a nice restaurant close to campus, and invite your friends’ parents, too. Both Victoria House and Reba and Pancho’s have intimate settings with incredible dinner options. If Victoria House is booked, stop by next door at Vic’s and enjoy some hearty pub-style food.

The vibe: “Let’s do something different!” They want to explore the cuisine surrounding towns have to offer. Williamsport (about 30 minutes away) has a host of awesome restaurants. One of my all-time favorites is 33 East – they have the best mac & cheese/filet around.

Sunday Morning

The vibe: Your sister has soccer practice at 3, your brother needs to study for his Calc exam, and your parents are in for a long ride home. If you’re feeling a bit rushed, have a quick bite to eat at Street of Shoppes in downtown Lewisburg. They know how to make a mean short stack of banana-chocolate chip pancakes.

The vibe: They’re in no hurry to head back, which means you might have to pull the “I have a presentation to prepare for” card (sorry, Mom). Meet for breakfast at Ard’s (but make sure to get there before 11 AM) and enjoy some good old-fashioned corn bread. Afterwards, take a walk on the Rail Trail and enjoy the beautiful farmland scenery.

Oh, and before you send them on their way and stumble back to bed, remember to thank them for taking the time to visit you in the middle of nowhere, and remind them that October Break is quickly approaching.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com