Is Stress Making Me…Ugly?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.
With academics, extracurricular activities, Greek life, relationships, and typical day- to-day stressors, life at Bucknell isn’t always a breeze. Time management skills and relaxation techniques don’t come very easily to all of us, and it’s often difficult to cope with stress. Not only is overwhelming yourself with stress detrimental to your productivity, it may also affect your appearance.
Here are several key indicators of extreme stress, and how you can remediate it:  

What You’re Doing to Your Skin
The barrier that usually prevents moisture loss is depleted during stressful times. As a result, your skin finds it more difficult to retain moisture, leaving your skin dry and dehydrated, ultimately causing break outs and acne.  Additionally, when you have high levels of anxiety, a hormone called cortisol is released. Cortisol has been linked to skin problems such as wrinkles and age lines. When we stress out, we are more likely to binge on unhealthy foods and not get enough sleep—a dangerous duo in terms of complexion and weight gain. 

What You’re Doing to Your Hair and Nails
Like skin, fingernails can reflect a person’s overall state of health. Chronic stress can cause the nail to become brittle or even begin peeling. During periods of high stress, the body focuses on processes more integral to survival, which may cause your nails to stop growing temporarily. Stress hormones affect digestion, preventing the absorption of nutrients from food. A vitamin B deficiency causes hair loss, as it forces hair follicles to remain in the telogen phase of growth (the fall out stage). Hair loss due to stress can take six to twelve months to reverse. 

What You’re Doing to Your Weight
Stress can actually make you crave the exact kinds of foods that will make you gain weight, which may increase your stress levels further. Additionally, as you may eat more on-the-go foods, ending up consuming excess calories as less thought goes into the decision-making process. Nutritionist Heather Bauer R.D. confirms “people tend to crave foods that are high in fat, sugar, and salt, because those directly increase our cortisol levels.” A 2000 Yale study showed that higher levels of cortisol, a hormone linked to stress in the body, as you may recall, positively correlated with extra abdominal fat in otherwise slender women.

What You Should Do
Breathe. Take a deep breath. That exam you’re stressed out about? It will be over within hours. The boy who broke your heart? His loss. Too much on your plate? Try taking smaller samples of the things in life that are overwhelming you. You can only fit so much on one plate.
Go outside. Even if it’s just for five minutes. The fresh air will help oxygenate your body, allowing you to relax and relieve high anxiety. You can return to your work with a refreshed mind and different outlook.
Drink up. Dehydration is often associated with stress, worsening its affects on your body and appearance. Make sure to get your eight glasses a day. Herbal tea—especially chamomile may help keep you relaxed. Just make sure it’s caffeine-free!
Work out. The release of tension and endorphins will help you burn off some steam. If you really need to study, you can bring your textbook with you while you bike. Or, take up yoga. I’ve found that it really helps me clear my mind and relax my muscles.
Snooze. Even if it’s just a 15-minute power nap, you will feel rejuvenated and likely will be more productive when you wake up. 

Sources: