brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Staying Confident, Even With Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Take a photo. Caption it. Post it. Wait for likes and comments. Social media is simple, right? Maybe. Although using social media is easy, its impacts can be complicated, and ultimately very damaging to one’s self esteem.

There’s nothing revolutionary about pop culture idealizing certain body images. For generations, beauty standards have been featured in billboards, television, advertisements, etc. Although certain notions of beauty occur more frequently than others, there is a barrier between these images and consumers. Perhaps a film actress is exceptionally skinny, but a consumer might justify it because that’s just how actresses are. Of course, this assumption is certainly not true either, but consumers are less likely to pit themselves against these images.

Social media is different. Because anyone can use it, the barrier between images and consumers of these images is torn down, and this places more pressure on people to emulate what they see. This applies whether the images are of celebrities or not, which makes the whole system a major outlet for judgement. Even if you’re not posting scantily clad photos or selfies with your lips puckered like Kylie Jenner’s, it’s almost impossible to not feel at least tempted to do so.

Even though social media may put your self-esteem to the test, there are a number of ways to use it without letting your confidence falter. Start by filling your feed with positivity. If there’s someone that you follow that you compare yourself to, or who makes you question your own self-worth, unfollow them! Shape your feed the way you want it to be, there’s no room for negativity. 

Additionally, look at social media with an open mind. Use these images of other people as sources of inspiration rather than with a critical eye. Rather than judging someone for posting a selfie, admire their confidence for putting themselves out there. By shedding your tendency to judge, using social media will feel much more empowering. It’s fun to support other people!

Don’t take yourself too seriously. No matter how “aesthetically pleasing” someone’s Instagram feed is, they’re human just like you. Don’t stress about what you’re posting and whether or not people are gonna like it. Who cares? If you like it, that’s all that matters.

Olivia is a junior writer and VP Tech for Her Campus Bucknell. She loves being on the Her Campus team because it's a unique platform for college women to support one another. Outside of Her Campus, Olivia is obsessed with her Westie, a lover of all things coral, and a muffin fanatic.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.