Rewind: The Latest and Greatest with Gabby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The Republican Party: Constantly Pushing Women Away

Abortion is a very hot topic for Congress, all political representatives and countless Americans worldwide. It has historically been viewed as a taboo subject, often swept under the rug and never explored in detail. However, the Democratic Party and other liberal sources have coined the phrase “War on Women,” implicating that the G.O.P.’s anti-abortion policies are parallel to anti-women sentiments…pretty powerful stuff.

However, the Republican Party and conservative outlets are not backing down. In fact, they are more vocal now about their opinions on abortion than they have ever been. There was a recent “March for Life” on January 22 where anti-abortion supporters clogged Washington, D.C. in efforts to express their anti-abortion ideals.

I find it surprising that Republican candidates are willing to be so explicitly anti-choice, especially since most anti-choice candidates have been punished and condemned. The most memorable, and my personal favorite, came to us from Todd Aiken, a man wishing to join the Senate. He brilliantly claimed that in cases of “legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” Riiighhhht. Because you have a “female body” and you’re obviously an expert on the matter—people sometimes.

I understand many people have moral objections to abortion, whether those objections may be religiously affiliated or not. However, I do not think that gives them the right to try to federally control all women’s bodies and choices. If the Republican Party wants to keep their young voters, mainly women, they must create more female-friendly policies that endorse freedom of choice.

READ MORE: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/opinion/a-formula-for-repelling-women-voters.html?ref=opinion&_r=2

Obama’s 2014 State of the Union Address: Recaps (incase you didn’t watch it…tisk, tisk)

Obama spoke on January 28, addressing the US about his plans for the country this year. The president is up against low approval ratings, and I know many people are not huge Obama fans. However, every time I hear him deliver a speech, I always stop to marvel. I am currently taking a public speaking class (the death of me) just watching his speech, I had to admire his pure mastery of the art of publically speaking. He paints a picture with his words, often appealing to people’s emotions with heart-warming stories of how his policies have saved and rejuvenated people’s lives—how sweet, Mr. Pres.

On a serious note, the highlights of President Obama’s speech included him touching on major controversial and current topics such as the climate agenda, immigration, raising minimum wage, drones, national security, healthcare and more. He didn’t really go in depth on any of the issues, but I mean the speech is only an hour and a half; does anyone really want it to be that much longer?? Also, SOTU addresses tend to be general and are intended to give off patriotic feelings, even if we aren’t in the best place.

My favorite part of the President’s address would have to be his section where he speaks about women and their right to equality. Obama is certainly a friend to the ladies.

“Today, women make up about half our workforce. But they still make 77 cents for every dollar a man earns. That is wrong, and in 2014, it’s an embarrassment…It’s time to do away with workplace policies that belong in a ‘Mad Men’ episode. This year, let’s all come together -Congress, the White House, and businesses from Wall Street to Main Street – to give every woman the opportunity she deserves. Because I believe when women succeed, America succeeds.” – President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address. January 28, 2014.

READ MORE: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obamas-2014-state-of-the-union-address-full-text/

Gabby is a sophomore political science and women and gender studies double major at Bucknell University. She was born and raised on Long Island, NY with the hopes of owning her own law firm in NYC one day. Gabby has always had a special eye for issues concerning women today, and hopes to convey that passion through her writing. Gabby is extremely politically active and enjoys watching/reading the news, engaging in friendly debate, and making fun of Sarah Palin as much as possible.