A Reminder on Why We Love Our Small School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Here in the good ol’ United States, we boast “the bigger the better” – bigger parties, bigger salaries, bigger social networking. Paradoxically, we chose to go to Bucknell, a quaint liberal arts university with an undergrad enrollment of 3,600. However, as we become stuck in the routine of Bucknell, we often turn to complaints: “Why isn’t there a law school or a med school?” “Ugh, there’s the frat guy I hooked up with last night. I see him everywhere.” And yet, sometimes we, caught up in life, forget why we chose such a small university. Here’s a friendly reminder of why we love Bucknell’s size:

Classes Are Small

You are more than a number. You’re a name, with an opinion. You’re a face known within your classroom. With the majority of the classes at Bucknell having 10-19 students, it is easy to find an identity within the academic realm of this university. The settings of the Bucknell classrooms are intimate, allowing for strong student participation. At Bucknell, the professors encourage you to ask questions and express your concerns, ideas, and oppositions. Contrasting, at larger universities, you are subjected to lecture halls, where student and professor participation is essentially nonexistent.

Receiving a degree from our small school is more than just attending and passing classes. We are encouraged to actively seek knowledge; we are claiming an education.

Professors Are Committed to Teaching You

At a large university, you are considered lucky if a professor recognizes your face, as you are almost solely taught by TAs. At our small school, your professor knows your name, and often more about you. Professors at Bucknell are more than committed to teaching you. They promote office hours, and even the option to meet with them at other points during the week. The professors promote a relationship further than that of a teacher-student—they are eager to know about you and help you succeed within the community. On more than one occasion, I have found myself grabbing coffee at 7th Street with my professor or advisor. At Bucknell, it is even common to find yourself with your classmates meeting your professor for dinner at Bull Run or at their homes.

You Recognize Faces Everywhere

Do you really go to Bucknell if you haven’t run into more than 15 friends on your walk from the LC to the library? The faces of your friends, classmates, teammates, and professors are literally everywhere. And yet you are not bombarded by the exact same faces everyday. For every 30 faces you recognize on the quad, there are always 10 new faces. The faces you know, the faces you recognize, aren’t constrained to your life on campus. Often I find myself waving at a friend or fellow Her Campus sister as I indulge on Ama Mi’s croissants and iced lattes. And when you walk into the backyards of St. Catherine on Saturdays you are greeted by friendly faces. While we cannot boast that our day parties are 5,000 people (shout out to Penn State), we can brag that we know almost everyone at these parties, which makes them all that much better.

Your Opinion Matters, Your Voice is Heard

Bucknell provides room for comfort and care. Often, large universities leave students feeling lonely and alienated, with the administration far from reach. Bucknell is different in this fact. We love the fact that the administration of Bucknell is willing to listen to us and allow us to create our own clubs, organizations, and classes. President Bravman is approachable and eager to progress the success of students within the Bucknell community. How many other schools allow Greek members to approach the administration and voice their opinions and concerns? How many other schools allow students to create one-on-one classes and research projects with professors? Bucknell’s community boasts a plethora of opportunities due to the tight and relaxed relationship between the administration and students.

While our small school may not have everything in the world, remember why you chose a successful, tight-knit community. Trust us, you’ll thank yourself later.

Bucknell University 2018
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com