No Date No Problem: Five Ways to Celebrate Love this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Valentine’s Day at Bucknell means a notorious weekend of date parties; but if you don’t have a date, or a significant other, what is a girl to do? Instead of spending your time hating the holiday that celebrates the relationship you don’t have, remember that there are many more sides to love than just romance. Love comes in so many forms – love for your family, for your friends, for your pets, for the things that you do – and it is high time that Valentine’s Day acknowledges them all. In the spirit of celebrating all the forms of love you have in your life, here are five ways to make the most out of this Valentine’s Day, no date needed. 

1.     Hand out Valentines’ Day cards: Remember in elementary school when you gave out Valentine’s Day cards and candy to all of your friends and classmates? Bring that tradition back by handing out Valentine’s Day cards to your friends on campus to let them know how much they mean to you. Even if the cards are sarcastic and ridiculous, your friends will appreciate the gesture. If your feeling extra loving, run to CVS and pick up some cheep heart-shaped candy to give out too (leaving some for yourself of course). Check out some of these hilarious Valentine’s Day cards for inspiration:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/02/valentines-day-cards-best-friends_n_6534608.html

2.     Send your mom flowers: Yes there is a whole day to celebrate mothers, but you can never tell your parents you love them enough. Your mom would be so surprised and beyond excited to see that you cared enough to send her flowers on Valentine’s Day. It is so easy to go online and order flowers to be sent to the one person who will love you no matter what, even though you probably haven’t cleaned your room since you earned an allowance. Here are some great websites where you can order bouquets of flowers and have them directly sent home to your mom:

www.teleflora.com

www.proflowers.com

3.     Send your long-distance friends V-day care packages: In college there is nothing better than receiving a care package. If some of your best friends go to different colleges than you, surprise them by sending them a box full of Valentine’s Day goodies. Send them all of the cheesy pink-hearted decorations, candies and chocolates, or even profess your love and appreciation for their friendship with a funny poem. Maintaining bonds over long distances can be difficult, but if you make the effort to let them know that you care, your friendship is sure to last. Check out this Pinterest page for some fun Valentine’s Day inspired care package ideas:

www.pinterest.comhtt

4.Eat all of the chocolate: There is no greater love than that of food, so why not celebrate it too? I mean not all Valentine’s Day traditions are bad, so eat all of the candy and chocolate your heart desires. Have your friends over and make some chocolate treats. Put on your favorite movie and you’ve got yourself a pretty awesome night. 

Make a donation or volunteer at a local charity: Share the love with your local community this Valentine’s Day and those who need it most. Volunteer your time at a local animal shelter, or take some flowers to patients at Evangelical Hospitalthere are a ton of opportunities to give back in the Lewisburg area. If you don’t have the time to volunteer, donate to an organization, local or nation-wide, that means the most to you. Showing your community that you care is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year.

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.   
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com