Mom-Inspired Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It is hard not to laugh when looking at old pictures of your parents from their childhood. When you see images of your mom from her twenties, her high-waisted jeans and chunky sweaters look ridiculous compared to the clothing we wear today. 

However, Mom’s clothes have suddenly become on trend. More and more apparel like “Mom Jeans” and vintage clothing from our mother’s glory days are now in magazines, and even available at popular stores.

Mom Jeans

It is impossible to walk around campus without passing women wearing high wasted, light wash denim pants. These pants are no longer only available at thrift stores, but are now everywhere from shopping malls to major department stores.

From Flower Power to ACDC

A few years ago, Mom’s old clothes were artifacts collecting dust in the back of the closet. But the outfits that our moms wore to music festivals and concerts are in style once again. Young women don long skirts, suede and round John Lennon glasses. Distressed, acid wash jeans and rocker tees from famous classic rock bands are back as well.

Tight and Bright

The neon getup Mom wore working out to Jane Fonda on tape is now on trend once again. Women today are wearing brightly colored leggings and tank tops to the gym, and many retailors sell a variety of patterned matching sets of workout outfits. The only thing that has yet to catch on again is leg warmers. 

Who knew that our mothers are actually style icons? I’m sorry for judging your style, Mom. I love my high-waisted Mom Jeans—I owe it all to you.

SaveSave

Olivia is a sophomore at Bucknell University where she studies Global Management. She lives in Connecticut with her parents and her little sister/best friend. She hopes to graduate from college in four years and find a career in business.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.