Meet: Lizzie Kirshenbaum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Most of you know Lizzie because she helped bring R.J. Mitte to Bucknell’s campus a couple weeks ago, so you think she is awesome. I mean what other college campus has a main character from Breaking Bad come speak? THANK YOU LIZZIE! Keep reading to find out how she brought him to campus, and what being on the Lectureship Committee is all about.

1) How did you become involved with and become a leader of your organization?I applied and became involved with the Student Lectureship Committee at the very beginning of my first-year at Bucknell and was made Co-Chair the second semester of my sophomore year.

2) How is this group different from other organizations on campus?The Lectureship Committee is the type of organization that everyone knows what we do but not necessarily that we exist as a formal organization. We’re an eclectic group that aims to bring speakers to campus that will both inspire and challenge the diverse interests of student body. Being a part of the committee is having the chance to influence some of the dialogue on campus.

3) Why did you choose to get involved in this, and do you see it becoming a part of your future?I strongly believe you can learn something from everyone, no matter how different their experiences are from your own, and for that reason I love attending lectures and talking to new people. I think at least that part about me will always remain, even if I don’t pursue a career in lectures; though, it would be incredibly cool to work for an organization like TED.

4) What has been your most rewarding experience thus far?My most rewarding experience has been every time someone has actually thanked me for bringing a particular speaker to campus that has changed his or her Bucknell experience. Specifically with our most recent lecture, R.J. Mitte, a number of people commented on how meaningful it was for them to meet someone who more than copes with a physical disability and how uplifting his talk was for them in terms of overcoming disadvantages.

5) Favorite meal at BucknellI’ve essentially perfected my salad at the quinoa bar.

6) Favorite class or professor at BucknellProfessor Hecock. He’s undoubtedly the most passionate professor I’ve ever had which probably explains why I’ve taken him for three Political Science classes.

7) Little known fact:When I was 13 I met Justin Timberlake and bolted as he tried to shake my hand.

Devin is a sophomore at Bucknell University. She is intending to be a Markets, Innovation and Design major in the School of Management, and is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. She can be found giving tours around campus, doing homework on the quad, or dancing in her apartment with her friends. Devin also writes for the HC Bucknell chapter, and loves all things Her Campus! Outside of school and HC, she enjoys playing sports, reading, singing, and trying new foods. In fact, her life motto is "eat dessert first." Devin is very excited to be the Management Intern at HC headquarters in Boston this summer!