Meet: Jennifer Mok

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Sometimes it feels like Bucknell has such an array of publications, from The Bucknellian to yours truly of Her Campus Bucknell, that it’s difficult to place one versus the other.  Not to fear, though, the ladies of HC Bucknell have sat down with own of our very own, Jennifer Mok, to get the low down on one of the many Bucknell media: Be Fashion.

Just to give the folks at home a bit of an intro, what do you actually do?

I double as the Editor-in-chief (EIC) and Creative Director of Be Fashion Magazine. As EIC, I help decide article topics and make the final decision on the edits. As creative director, I determine the issue’s concept and overall look.

What inspired you to get involved with Be Fashion?

I came to Bucknell determined to be as involved on campus as possible. I wanted to do something fashion related and I was lucky enough to find out about Be through a friend on my freshman residence hall. I have been a part of the team ever since.

You’ve really taken Be Fashion to the next level if these past few weeks with social media campaigns and a new Instagram account.  What do you see as the future of Be Fashion in the next week, next month, and next year?

We’ve always been very underground and an “up-and-coming” organization. In order to make it a more popular organization, the Be brand needed to stay real to its original roots but also have a bit more mainstream flare. I hope that Be keeps its gritty edginess but with the Bucknell audience in mind at all times. I hope it continues to grow in popularity but doesn’t ever conform.

How would you describe your own personal style?  Please indulge us with your influences, most frequently shopped store, and all in between!

Minimalistic with a little grunge. My great aunt has taught me everything about style and fashion. Keep things simple and don’t fall for fads. Make sure you have a base style that speaks to your personality but be able to incorporate fashions of the time.

I don’t really shop too often – I have my basics and a few additional fun pieces to spice up my wardrobe. I’m a total quality over quantity girl so I’d much rather get a timeless Theory shirt than a couple Forever21 shirts that I’ll throw away in months time.

Bucknell is known to have a stereotypical “look.” In your eyes, what constitutes this Bucknell look? Do you think our campus as a whole is relatively homogenous? If so, how would you suggest that the Bucknell looks switches it up?

We used to look like we were straight out from a J.Crew catalog but we’ve kind of shifted to incorporate different trends and styles other than the New England preppy fashions.

I suggest stop buying things just because everyone else has them.  There are some pieces that are practical like the Hunter boots and Barbour jacket but beyond that — do you really want to be someone else’s clone? Don’t be afraid to try new things. Wear what you feel confident in. And try new brands. There are a lot more brands beyond what’s offered at J.Crew and Shopbop. Trust me.

Do you follow trends? Why or why not?Yes and no. I have a FOMO in regards to fashion. I like to know which decade the runways decided to revamp, what color schemes are popular that season, etc. But I don’t necessarily incorporate it all into my wardrobe.

You recently wrote a piece for yours truly, HC Bucknell, about not dressing for men. How do you dress for yourself and how do you think your position as EIC for Be Fashion can influence other Bucknellians to do the same?

I want fashion to become a tool for empowerment. Cheesy and cliché as it is, how you dress is a statement about yourself. I like to dress a bit androgynous at times because I want it to be clear that I am my own boss and that a man doesn’t always have to be the one wearing the pants. But, of course, that doesn’t mean I don’t love a good dress. I just do whatever makes me feel more comfortable in my own skin. I don’t really care about what others think. If I’m happy with how I look, that’s all that matters. So my advice? Do you.

Where do you see yourself in ten years? Will anything like your positions at Be Fashion, as EIC, and HC Bucknell, as VP of technology and a veteran staff writer, be in the picture?

I have no idea. As much as I love fashion, I don’t know what I’d want to do in that industry. It’s a cutthroat world with a lot of personalities. But hopefully, I’ll be doing something creative, mind-stimulating and fast paced.

Quick Qs:Staple piece of your wardrobe?White blouse. You can dress it up and down. It’s something that you will always wear.

Fall must have?Leather jacket

Trend to which you’re ready say goodbye?Pleplum. Are people still wearing that?

The closet of Carrie Bradshaw or Serena van der Woodsen?Carrie…later years.

Heels, flats, or somewhere in between?Somewhere in between. Always.

Online shopping: love it or leave it?Love hate relationship.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com