Mastering Spring Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

With the long and dreary Bucknell winter finally coming to a close, some much needed color has arrived back on campus.  As finals seem to be closing in fast, makeup may be the last thing on our minds.  However, here are some fun—and easy!—tips to help you look as beautiful as the weather during these last few weeks of school. 

Sun-kissed Skin:  With the sun shining, everyone is emerging out of their dorm rooms looking to get some much needed color after this long winter (don’t forget the sunscreen!).  To give the illusion that you have gotten a flush of color, swipe a peachy or rose colored blush along your cheekbones, as well as a little bit on your forehead and the bridge of your nose (that’s where the sun hits your face the most).  To make your skin glow even more, add a dusting of shimmer powder in the shape of a W on your face.   Starting at your left temple bring the brush down across your cheekbone, up over the bridge of your nose to the top of your forehead, and then down your nose again across the other cheekbone and up to your temple.   

In order to seem like you have gotten a little bit of a tan, you can cheat and use some bronzer.  However, you have to be careful and choose the right shade so you don’t end up looking orange and fake.  According to Cosmopolitan, you should never choose a bronzer more than two shades darker than your skin tone.  Once you have chosen the right color, apply it in the shape of a 3 on both sides of your face.  Starting at your forehead, swipe the brush down the side of your face, sweeping over your cheekbones and then down across your jawline.  And always make sure to blend your bronzer into your neck. 

See the rest of Cosmopolitan’s bronzer tips here: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/hairstyles-beauty/skin-care-makeup/how-to-use-bronzer#slide-1

Bright Eyes: Spring eye makeup is all about looking fresh and natural (which means less work for us!).  Light, rosy, peach, or lilac eye shadows create a soft romantic look.  Swipe a light matte shade from your eyelid to your eyebrow, then add a pastel pink, peach, or purple color to your lid.  If you want to make your eye a little darker, brush a darker shade into your outer crease and along your lash line.  Apply a very light pink, yellow, or nude color to your inner creases and just under your eyebrow to brighten up your eyes.   

Make your eyes pop by adding some gold hues to your eye makeup. Dust gold eye shadow onto your lid, or even gold eyeliner on your bottom lash line. Don’t have gold eyeliner? Wet a thin eyeliner brush and dip it into gold eye shadow.  The wet brush will allow you to manipulate the eye shadow like an eyeliner (the same goes for any color of eye shadow).  

Bold Lips:  If you want to embrace fun and bright spring colors, don’t be afraid to try out a bold shade of lipstick.  Whether it is a bright pink, orange, shocking red, or a flirty purple, lipstick is always an easy way to add punch to any look.  Make sure when you wear a bold lip color to pair it with subtle eye and face makeup.  A bold lip, paired with heavy eye makeup and lots of color on your face is too overwhelming.  A bright lip color is all you need to add springtime color to your face. 

Also check out this Buzzfeed article for some great lipstick tips: http://www.buzzfeed.com/verymuchso/17-easy-ways-to-make-your-lips-look-perfect

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.