How to Rock Your Bikini Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Step 1: Disregard all “bikini body” workouts.

It is that time of year where we feel that we have to transform our seemingly imperfect bodies in order to look good in a bikini.  We put off going shopping for a suit until we feel that our bodies look “good enough.”  Starting in January, every other magazine article tells us what to eat and how many hours we need to clock in at the gym in order to get that oh so desired “bikini body.”  However, no matter how hard we work out, we never feel that we are up to the Victoria’s Secret model standard.  Why do we put ourselves through this stress? In reality, these workouts and meal plans only make us feel inadequate and unworthy of wearing a bikini.  Throw away all of these bogus guidelines and realize that you are worthy of putting on a bikini as you look right at this very moment.  

Step 2: Find the suit.

Go shopping! Looking for the perfect bikini shouldn’t be something to dread, but rather something to be excited about.  Find a suit that you feel awesome in and that flatters your body type.  Don’t worry about all of the rules of what you are “supposed” to wear for your certain body type—wear whatever you want! Search for something that you are comfortable in and that makes you feel as amazing as you look, because no matter how many hours you’ve put in at the gym, you will look amazing. 

Step 3: Look in the mirror and tell yourself you’re awesome.

Go ahead, put on the suit! Look in the mirror and realize just how good you look.  It’s not narcissistic, it’s not building up your ego, it’s just telling yourself that you are, in fact, worthy of wearing this bikini—not just wearing it, but rocking it.  Stop focusing on all of your so-called imperfections and realize that you look awesome just as you are.  #Flawless anyone?

Step 4: Give zero f*cks about society’s definition of a “bikini body.”

Despite popular belief, you do not need to be a Victoria’s Secret Model in order to look good in a bikini. Society will always tell you that you are not skinny enough, toned enough, pretty enough, tan enough, etc., but you can choose whether or not you believe it.  Do not let the definition of a “bikini body” determine how you feel in your cool new suit.  You have the power and the right to feel confident in your bikini.   

Step 5: Go forth and kill it.

Simple as that.  Head out to the beach, or the pool, or even your backyard and rock the you-know-what out of your bikini body.  Soak up the sun, play beach volleyball, or go for a swim in your new favorite suit, because you do not need to be a tan and toned twig to show off your hot bod in the summer weather.  So put on the suit and go kill it. You know what to do.  

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.   
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com