An HC Explanation for Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

At the beginning of the spring semester, many students start off strong. We tend to study earlier, and complete homework assignments in advance, all in an effort to make a good impression on new professors. Interestingly, as the semester progresses, many tend to lose their steam. Stress, sleep deprivation, and for many, the lack of motivation, sets in. Why do we do this, instead of racing to the end? Students will start waiting until the last possible moment to cram in studying, and to craft up a paper. People like these are known as ~ultimate procrastinators~. **cue scary music**

Procrastinating this close to the deadline is not for the faint of heart. So why do so many do it? According to Hal McDonald from Psychology Today, “Studying under stress may actually help people remember certain kinds of information better than they would if they tried to learn the same material in a less stressful state of mind.” Pamela Wiegartz Ph. D. says, “If you’re an active procrastinator, you choose to put things off because you like the adrenaline rush that comes with getting things done right at the wire. You enjoy the challenge and you don’t really want to change.” In other words, it seems that procrastination creates a kind of pressure that benefits us with motivation. The time constraint no longer allows us to dilly-dally, and so we get working just in the nick of time. Other research shows how procrastination actually increases creativity. Adam Grant from the New York Times explains, “When you procrastinate, you’re more likely to let your mind wander. That gives you a better chance of stumbling onto the unusual and spotting unexpected patterns.”

So if you’re like me, and wait until the last possible second to complete an assignment, there is some real evidence in our favor. After all, diamonds are made under pressure. Just make sure your procrastination isn’t to the extreme!

Lexi Katz

Bucknell '20

Writer from Bucknell University