Is Halloween the New Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

PSA: Single Awareness Day changed from February 14 to October 31. On a more positive note, Halloween definitely has a much more diverse selection of candy than Valentine’s Day’s questionable chocolate boxes. Reese’s, Smarties, Candy Corn, Twix, and Snickers … need I say more? Halloween should be the ultimate single girl’s holiday, where single girls everywhere can cry over candy and then go out and dress up as whatever they want without consequences. Remember Cady Heron’s Halloween experience? Exactly.

However, our Bucknell trendwatchers have recently informed us that this is going to be the Halloween for couple costumes. Don’t you want to be someone’s Kim to his Kanye? Someone’s Mrs. Clause to Mr. Clause? Or maybe even the peanut butter to someone’s jelly? As a single girl, these cliché costumes probably either made you gag at the thought of having to wear them, or probably made you run in the other direction. God help us all.

Is all of this making you cringe at the thought of being a lonely fish in a sea of couples? No fear, friends are always here. Your best friends will always be there for you, and will most likely be willing to dress up as something weird and crazy with you. Need some costume inspiration? Spice Girls, Disney princesses, Minions, Ninja Turtles, Super Mario Bros. characters always work. As long as you have your friends by your side, you will always kill it, no matter what.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com