A Guide to Summer 2015 Music Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Summer is almost here; for many, that means the start of the music festival season. If music is one of the reasons you get up in the morning, you should strongly consider attending one of the many music festivals taking place over the next three months. Music festivals present the opportunity to truly immerse yourself in music for multiple days. They also are full of really interesting people, which is a bonus to great music. While several festivals that try to appeal to specific music tastes, many festivals try to encompass different types of artists to attract a diverse crowd.

Check out Her Campus Bucknell’s guide to help you plan your summer!

Festival: The Governors Ball Music Festival

Camping: No

Dates: June 5-7

Location: Randall’s Island Park, NYC

Headliners: Drake, The Black Keys, DeadMau5, Lana Del Ray, and Florence + The Machine

Other Noteworthy Artists: Flume, Big Gigantic, Vance Joy, Charlie XCX, Mayer Hawthorne, and Clean Bandit

Festival: Bonnaroo Music Festival

Camping: Yes

Dates: June 11-14

Location: Manchester, TN

Headliners: Billy Joel, Mumford and Sons, DEADMAU5, Kendrick Lamar, Florence + The Machine, and Bassnectar

Other Noteworthy Artists: Alabama Shakes, Hozier, Twenty One Pilots, G-Eazy, and Bleachers

Festival: Firefly Music Festival

Camping: Yes

Dates: June 18-21

Location: Dover, DE

Headliners: Paul McCartney, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Morrissey, Snoop Dogg, and Foster the People

Other Noteworthy Artists: Bastille, Hozier, Kid Cudi, Cold War Kids, Chiddy Bang, Zedd, and the Dirty Heads

Festival: Lollapalooza

Camping: No

Dates: July 31- August 2

Location: Grant Park, Chicago

Headliners: Paul McCartney, Metallica, Florence + The Machine, Sam Smith, Bassnectar, and The Weeknd

Other Noteworthy Artists: Of Monsters and Men, Walk the Moon, Shakey Graves, The Chainsmokers, Lord Huron, and Odesza

Festival: Outside Lands

Camping: No

Dates: August 7-9

Location: Golden Gate Park, San Francisco

Headliners: Elton John, Mumford and Sons, the Black Keys, Sam Smith, Kendrick Lamar, Wilco…

Other Noteworthy Artists: George Ezra, Misterwives, Milky Chance, Slightly Stoopid, Ben Harper, Angus and Julia Stone, and Glass Animals

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com