The Guide to Shopping for Difficult People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The holidays are always a hectic time of year, especially with the daunting task of gift giving. There are always those difficult people in your life who make holiday shopping your worst nightmare rather than an enjoyable activity. So this year, Her Campus Bucknell has come up with some simple and inexpensive (for those on a collegiette budget) ideas to make your holiday shopping a breeze.

For The Girl Who Has Everything

This girl has everything, so what could she possibly want or need? In this case, it will be the thought that counts. Don’t waste your time and money trying to buy her a lavish gift to go along with the closet full of clothes and shoes she already has. Instead try to focus on a gift that will have real emotional meaning. Think back to your favorite memories with this person (places you went together, funny stories, embarrassing pictures, etc.) and build a gift off of that idea.

•  A scrapbook/book that chronicles your friendship
  •  A decorative flask and favorite bottle of alcohol (21+)
  • An ugly sweater to wear to your holiday party 
  • A framed picture of you two together abroad, at formals, etc.
  • A girls’ night for just the two of you (movies, dinner, etc.)

For The Boyfriend

This gift is always a hard one because you don’t want to buy something that says you care too much or something that says you don’t care enough. If you are shopping for a boyfriend you recently started dating, aim for something on the smaller side that won’t scare him after only a couple months.

• His favorite TV show on DVD, either one he wants to try or already loves. My picks are “Breaking Bad” and “Game of Thrones.” Plus, you could watch it together! 
  • A sweater or button-up shirt. He wants to wear something that you think he will look good in. If you tell him that you bought it because you think he would look hot in it, he’s probably going to wear it 
  • If you have been with this guy for a while (more then six months) you might want to think about getting him something a little more special (and possibly more expensive). A nice pair of headphones. My pick is the Beats brand (roughly $100+). 
  • Wireless speakers. These are perfect for the dorm room or at home, and they are portable which makes for easy transport. My pick is the Bose Bluetooth Wireless speakers (roughly $200).

Here are a couple ideas that will be sure to be good gifts no matter how long you have been dating.

• Want to make a really good impression? Get yourself some sexy holiday themed lingerie and show it off to him. I guarantee he won’t complain about this gift.
  • A home cooked meal. Food is the perfect way to a guy’s heart. Ask your parents to have the house for the night and surprise him with his favorite home cooked meal. Chicken Parmesan anyone?

For The Parents Who “Don’t Want Anything”

This gift is simple, and doesn’t necessarily require you to leave your house! Think about doing something special for your parents because they do a lot for you and don’t ask for anything in return. Try to come up with a gift that allows you to give back to your parents.

• Cook them/your family a nice dinner for once. Get your siblings involved, too, if you need some extra hands. Your parents will love that you all worked together to produce the meal, even if the meal isn’t as good as when your mom/dad makes it. 
  • Offer to babysit (free of charge) and make a reservation at their favorite restaurant, so they can have a date night. Now they have no reason not to go. 
  • Offer to do the laundry, dishes or shovel snow for the holiday week, so that mom and dad get a little time off. 
  • Make a scrapbook of you and your parents, something that they can keep forever Frame a nice photo of you and your parents for their office desk or wall 
  • If you do want to get them something tangible and they have an iPad, then something like an iPad case is the perfect gift and not too expensive!

For The Secret Santa Person

A week or so before Christmas, lots of people partake in some kind of Secret Santa or Yankee Swap, where you usually pick a name out of a hat and surprise that person with an inexpensive gift. Whether you are doing Secret Santa with your sorority, campus club, friend group, office or family, my advice is the same: aim for something either funny or practical within your price range (typically people don’t spend more than $20 on a gift). If you get your best friend, then this gift is easy because you can make a collage of embarrassing pictures of them from your camera or the new pair of mittens they need. When you pull someone out of the hat that you’ve only talked to twice in your life, then it is a good idea to (secretly) ask one of his/her friends. Chances are that friend is going to have a great gift idea for you that your Secret Santa person will love. If all else fails, then I would resort to three things:

• Chocolate. Lindt chocolates are an absolute favorite! Who doesn’t like chocolate? 
  • Gift Cards. Yes, they are impersonal, but if you can at least find a store they might like, then it can be a really good present. 
  • A bottle of wine. Try to find out if they prefer red or white. (21+)

For The Roommate

It’s a nice gesture to get your roommate a little something that says “thanks for putting up with me all semester,” even if she doesn’t get you anything in return.

If you and your roommate are best friends then this gift can be easy, and you will know exactly what to get. If not, and you just want to show the person you live with a little love before they go home for the holidays, try something that shows you know her personality.

• If she loves baked goods, then bake her some cookies! You can even put it in a little cookie jar and decorate the jar with her name or a cool design in puffy paint.
  • A handwritten note on formal stationary. A little gesture goes a long way, and just writing a nice note to your roommate explaining how it has been great living with her or getting to know her can be really thoughtful.
  • A framed picture of the two of you to put or hang in your room.
  • Something that you need for the room. Maybe you have been talking about getting an extra lamp or some posters for the room? Why not get her a gift that benefits both of you?

If you are really close with your roommate, and want to buy something a little more expensive:

• Makeup bag. These aren’t very expensive, and you could even get it monogramed with her initials for an extra little touch.
  • Phone case. It’s fun to switch up your case depending on your mood, and she will definitely need something cute to protect her phone from college damage. 
  • Alex and Ani bracelet. They have so many different ones with different meanings that you could find one that matches your roommate’s personality or beliefs, or even get one with her birthstone (roughly $30).

In the midst of finals, work and traveling, it is easy to get stressed about shopping for the difficult people in your life who might not even like what you get them. This year, take a deep breath and relax. With all of these suggestions, you are sure to find something for everyone important in your life. Remember above all else to keep receipts and that the thought is really what counts. Don’t forget how many things are online now, most of them accompanied by great sales!

Happy Holidays everyone. In light of the new Catching Fire premiere, “May the odds be ever in your favor” this holiday season.

Devin is a sophomore at Bucknell University. She is intending to be a Markets, Innovation and Design major in the School of Management, and is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. She can be found giving tours around campus, doing homework on the quad, or dancing in her apartment with her friends. Devin also writes for the HC Bucknell chapter, and loves all things Her Campus! Outside of school and HC, she enjoys playing sports, reading, singing, and trying new foods. In fact, her life motto is "eat dessert first." Devin is very excited to be the Management Intern at HC headquarters in Boston this summer!
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com