Five Steps to Dealing with Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Change: a five-letter word that symbolizes the inevitable. As I sit here and think about change, I realize that I’m different than I was five years ago, last year, last month, and even two days ago. We change and experience new things all the time; change will never stop. However, sometimes it’s difficult for us to handle these new beginnings, transitions, hellos, and goodbyes. We’re expected to suddenly adapt to different circumstances just because they happen; and oftentimes, we don’t receive a fair warning or the thorough explanation we want. When your world suddenly starts to shift, follow these five steps to genuinely embrace change and find happiness from the chaos.

1. Welcome the fact that change is constant. Our lives will never be change-free. Ever. We will always grow older, grow wiser, grow out of relationships, and grow as a human being. We will experience new things, broaden our horizons, learn something new, and meet someone amazing-or not so amazing-people that will change us in some way. We will mature, make mistakes, feel joy, experience pain, get frustrated, and delight in happiness. The beauty of life is that no single day will replicate the next. Our emotions, relationships, values, and perspectives are in constant flux; it’s up to us to embrace it.
  2. Understand that change makes us better. To change your life, you must really commit. Letting go of the past takes a concerted effort. Debating whether or not to call him back; agonizing over whether or not you should text a former friend who wronged you; or dwelling on why you didn’t receive that job offer perpetuates an unhealthy state of mind. Let the past live in the past. It’s over. The past governs our future. Our past experiences guide us to make necessary changes in our lives; these will help us transform into who we’re meant to become.
  3. Actively seek change; don’t wish it, do it. Hate the way your hair looks? Chop it off. Not doing so hot in a class? Study harder. Feeling lonely? Reach out to someone new. Want to do something, but don’t think you can? Try it. We’ve only got one life to live, and if we don’t make modifications along the way, we’ll never learn anything or go anywhere. Life’s too short to not actively seek change; you’ll never know what you may discover about yourself.
  4. Know that you deserve the best. If something’s going on in your life that doesn’t make you feel good, change it. It’s as simple as that. Our lives only improve if we make changes. Recognize that above all, you are worth it…or, as Lena Dunham says in Girls, “you are fine and good.”
  5. Realize that change is the scariest, most exciting part of life. As uncomfortable as it is sometimes, change will never cease. You may not stay with the same boyfriend or girlfriend forever. You may not keep the same job for more than five months. You may not live in the same place for over a year, or travel to the same place twice. But ultimately, you may be surprised at how much you grow, learn, understand, and realize when you accept change and just let it happen.

Change is scary. Change is uncontrollable. Change is new. Change is exciting. But most importantly, change allows us to grow and understand more than we ever knew at any given moment. Accept change, recognize its benefits, and adopt it as part of your life. You may feel uncomfortable or disappointed for a brief period of time, but the long-term benefits of change are the ultimate reward.