Finding a Costume Already in Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Okay, so you’ve been pretty busy and coming up with a Halloween costume hasn’t been a major priority on your to-do list. Well, not to worry, we’ve got you covered, collegiettes. Rifling through your “costume box” (if you don’t have one yet, you’ll probably acquire a box of random pieces from different themed events throughout your college career), you may discover that you have some key basics to any great Halloween outfit. Now you just need a little twist and a few accessories.

Feature Item: Khaki Shorts

Tacky Tourist                                                           You’ll need a Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts, fanny pack, disposable camera, sunglasses, sneakers/converse/keds, and visor/baseball hat/straw hat to perfect the perfect tacky tourist. Think family reunion at Disney World.

Jane Goodall She was truly an inspiration when she came to Bucknell a few weeks ago, so why not be her for Halloween? Wear khaki shorts, a cream colored/khaki top, sneakers/converse/keds, binoculars around your neck, and carry a stuffed monkey and banana.

Feature Item: Nerd Glasses

Nerd/Britney Spears from Hit Me Baby One More Time music videoThere are many variations to the classic nerd look, but you could also say you are channeling your inner ’90s girl, Brit. You’ll need a black skirt/jean shorts/plaid skirt, a white button down shirt, nerd glasses, knee-high socks, suspenders (if desired), and sneakers/converse/keds. Finish the look by styling your hair in pigtails.

Clark Kent (Superman)Instead of being a superhero (no shame in being one), you could be Clark Kent/Superman. Wear your nerd glasses, shorts, and a blue tank top with a taped-on Superman logo. Throw on a half-open, white button down shirt over the tank and add a tie to finish the costume.

Feature Item: Black Dress

Flapper/Daisy from Great Gatsby

With your little black dress and a long strand of pearls, tights, sparkly headband with a feather, and a boa, you could be in an ad from the 1920s.

Feature Item: Bed Sheets

Greek GoddessMake a toga! Want the easy way? Just get a pillowcase and cut a big diagonal for your head and arms. Then, simply tie your waist with a rope or string to complete the look.

Feature Item: T-shirt

Got milk? Campaign GirlWrite “Got milk?” on a white t-shirt, add a “milk mustache” above your lip, and carry around a milk carton.

Lifeguard

You just need a whistle, sunglasses, red Soffee/running shorts, and some sunscreen on your nose. To finish the costume, write “lifeguard” with a red marker on a white tank top.

Feature Item: Plaid Shirt

Lumber Jack/CanadianWear jeans or jean shorts, suspenders, and a plaid shirt. Carry around maple syrup or an “ax” made out of paper. Eh?

Cowgirl Wear jeans/jean shorts, cowboy boots, a cowboy hat, tie your hair in a braid, carry a rope lasso, and you’re good to go!

Feature Item: Animal Ears

Beanie BabyInstead of just being the actual animal, you could be a Beanie Baby! Whether you dressed up as a cat, giraffe, elephant, mouse, bunny or another animal at a party earlier this year, just add a red heart tag with “Ty” written on it around your neck for a completely new look. With minimal effort, you can make your basic animal ears seem unique.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com