Finals Week: The Best Places to Get Your Brain Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s that time again where summer is rolling in but we are forced to power through finals week.  After surviving an entire school year, we must find ways to maximize our dwindling energy supply. When nights of good sleep seem to be out of the question, we can eat our way through finals!  Here are the top foods on and around the Bucknell Campus that can boost up our mental capacity as we kick it up for our remaining days on campus…

Bostwick Marketplace:

A meal that can serve for either breakfast, lunch, or even dinner, is Bostwick’s egg bar! Try getting an omelette with vegetables including broccoli (a veggie always readily available at the salad bar.) Eggs are a great source of protein while broccoli has an abundance of vitamin K.  Both protein and vitamin K serve to enhance cognitive function and improve brainpower.  If you’re into spicing it up a bit, try adding black pepper or hot sauce. They contain piperine, which increases brain activity and boosts overall cognitive function. These spices also help to prevent the breakdown of serotonin by stabilizing your mood.

The Bison:

This finals season we are lucky because we have a great new addition to the Bison: the smoothie bar! Although the smoothie bar is only open for a small period of time (11 am – 2pm), it is still a great way to get your mid-day energy boost. With a variety of fruits, bases, and proteins you can pick and choose what to add into your smoothie. Just a few great options are chia seeds, peanut butter and fruits and vegetables such as beets or kale. All of these foods are great sources of protein, antioxidants, and are packed with nutrition. Adding these to your smoothie gives you a delicious way to stay focused for the rest of the day.

7th Street Cafe:

To start the morning off right take a trip down to Seventh Street Cafe for breakfast done right.  The oatmeal bar is fool-proof way to power through a day of studying.  It’s been proven that glucose, a carbohydrate abundant in oats, is the primary fuel for our brain.  In addition, the body breaks down carbs in whole-grain oats very slowly, which helps to keep us sharp and focused for several hours.  But if oatmeal isn’t your thing, try the Chobani Bar.  The Greek yogurt contains Tyrosine, an amino acid, which perks you up and improves your mental alertness.  

Amami:

Who can survive finals week without taking several trips down to Amami? Here are some great choices to get your last Amami kicks that will also have the added benefit of keeping your brain at full capacity.  For starters, a great healthy option is the spinach salad – loaded with quinoa, seeds, and goat cheese.  Spinach is a great source of iron which helps to transport oxygen through the body and to the brain.  In addition, goat cheese contains protein, which is vital in keeping your mind and memory sharp. And if you are feeling adventurous add avocado or a fried egg for an extra source of protein!

Another good choice is the whole wheat breakfast wrap.  The whole grains from the wrap itself gives you energy in the form of glucose.  Glucose gives you the ability to concentrate by providing a steady supply of energy.  Furthermore, the cheese and eggs enhance your protein intake which both helps the body work at full capacity all while boosting happiness.

Pronto:

If you are feeling the itch to get off campus for a study break or a new place to study, head down to Market Street and try Pronto. Pronto offers numerous options from salads to sandwiches and also is a great place to settle in to write an essay or read a book. When looking at the menu consider choosing their delicious sandwich “Italian Stallion” or the Arugula salad. Both options come with prosciutto, a great source of iron. Iron helps maintain your energy supply and will give you that extra boost you need to get through those final days on campus!

Library Café:

After long hours in the library take a break and reward yourself with some tasty but healthy snacks from the Library Café! Some snacks to take on the day of your finals or help power through a late night are, nuts (a great source of protein), seeds (a good source of essential fatty acids to maintain healthy brain function), and dark chocolate (which contains powerful natural stimulants such as caffeine) – just to name a few. While the Library Café may seem limited at times there are actually great options for your much needed brain food. Try going for the trail mix which contains all three essential sources of energy: chocolate, seeds, and nuts.  All of these foods are a great way to keep you alert and focused on the day of your exams or to get you through the long nights of studying.