Early 2000s Trends We Wish Would Make a Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Calling all Juicy Tube lovers: your favorite middle school lip lacquer is back and better than ever. According to Refinery 29, on April 21st, Lancome will be launching Juicy Shakers, a reincarnation of the brand’s beloved Juicy Tubes. Juicy Shakers are described as pigment-in-oil lip-glosses that deliver both pigment and flavor. However, unlike its predecessor, the Juicy Shaker is designed for a more mature audience; the adorable packaging looks just like a pint-sized cocktail shaker.

Lancome’s release of a Juicy Tube look-alike has us reminiscing about simpler days. For current collegiettes, Juicy Tubes were huge trend back when we were kids. In fact, the 2000s as a whole were filled with really awesome trends. From butterfly clips to bedazzled jeans, the trends of the 2000s came to define our preteen years. Although these years may appear cringe-worthy today – hello, awkward stage – it’s hard not to feel nostalgic for early adolescence. It was a time of self-discovery and expression, a time when we all started figuring out exactly who we wanted to become.

So, in light of this much-appreciated throwback, let’s take a stroll down memory lane. Here’s a list of trends from the early 2000s that we (not so) secretly wish would make a comeback today.

Lip Smackers

Before Katy Perry made cherry Chapstick cool again, Lip Smackers were all the rage. These bad boys came in every flavor imaginable, from Dr. Pepper to lemon-flavored Skittle. Lip balm application became the furthest thing from a chore – it was something to look forward to. You probably ended up eating more product than you should have through excessive lip-licking, but hey, the past is the past.

Mood Rings

The childhood equivalent of astrological horoscopes, mood rings seemed to hold all the answers. Mood rings were considered sacred – these things never lied. A mood ring was so much more than a mere fashion statement. Nothing was more magical then watching a formerly amber-colored ring fade into a deep shade of midnight blue right before your eyes (even if you had no idea what either of those colors signified).

Scrunchies

No ponytail was complete without one of these gaudy masses of scrunched-up fabric. They added personality to the traditional updo, coming in all sorts of different colors and materials. Clear elastics and black hair ties simply can’t compare – there’s something over-the-top and almost obnoxious about the scrunchie that makes it impossible not to love.

Tattoo Choker Necklaces

For all the tweens out there who wanted nothing more than to channel their inner angst, the tattoo choker necklace was probably your best friend. These flimsy strips of plastic held the power to elevate your look to a whole new level. In fact, these choker necklaces are slowly making their way back into the modern-day fashion sphere as the grunge look continues to rise in popularity. Shout out to all the teenage dirtbags out there – it turns out your luck hasn’t run out just yet.

VS Pink Body Mist

If these iconic, translucent pink blocks of sweet-smelling mist don’t bring you back to your childhood gym locker room, nothing else will. After a 30-minute game of indoor basketball, girls would douse themselves in the scents and smells of the ever-so-sophisticated Victoria’s Secret Pink brand to freshen up. These mists make a great alternative to heavy perfumes, so it would be great to see these middle school scents make a grand comeback today (but no Axe, please).

Sources: