Defining and Defying the Term “Basic Bitch” at Bucknell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

*Disclaimer: Information used to exemplify what some students consider “basic” at Bucknell was taken from random and anonymous interviewees. Information/opinions in this article do not express my own personal opinions unless explicitly stated. *

If you Google “basic bitch” some of the results read: “10 tips to avoid dressing like a basic bitch,” “the basic bitch’s guide to Coachella,” “Starbucks must haves for the basic bitch.” So what does it mean to be a basic bitch?

The term is used to describe someone, typically a young woman, who is devoid of defining personality characteristics that would otherwise make them interesting, extraordinary, or worth devoting time or attention to. The person is perceived to lack intelligence or social skills, be vapid, daft, or simple. Stereotypes and broad generalizations lead to identifying someone as basic.

Personally, I think the term is absurd, immature, and just plain mean. After doing some research, I’ve compiled what some students would consider “basic bitch” behavior at Bucknell. The individual, presumably female, would be someone who wears expensive brands not for the style or functionality but for the popular name, someone who strictly orders from the quinoa bar because that’s what all of the other health-conscious women seem to do, someone who carries something monogrammed at all times, and someone who wouldn’t be caught dead in anything but a sundress and jacket at a Super Saturday with a bottle of Andre in hand.

I think there’s a huge problem with applying the term “basic bitch” to Bucknellians. Aside from its derogatory nature, I think it implies that having something, or a few things, in common with other students makes you bland and indifferent. Students at a relatively small school have an advantage of a stronger and more identifiable culture. I think the advantage of a typical or categorical culture is the profound opportunity to differentiate yourself and grow as an individual.

The pool of common interests which binds Bucknellians together presents a relationship and challenge of self discovery. It prompts you to ask: what makes me different? What do I bring to Bucknell? I think the “basic bitch” phenomenon also challenges us to question whether our endeavors appeal to satisfying a stereotype, or if they are instead a venture to fulfill our self identity.

I truly don’t believe that the term “basic bitch” applies to Bucknellians. Unarguably, there are prominent trends that our students catch onto, but isn’t that commonplace for any culture? The English are known to love their tea, but they can’t be categorized as the same type of person because of it.  We’re all different. It’s cliché, and it’s true. We have girls who laugh at the quinoa bar and instead go up for a second serving of waffle fries and girls who love live action role-playing (LARP) and attend medieval festivals on the weekends. We have guys who have profound interests in poetry, the debate team and cheerleading. We have over 150 clubs and recreational organizations, so I think it’s safe to say we have quite a few differentiating interests at Bucknell. No one should feel basic.