A Collegiette Guide to Avoiding Last Year’s Hookups at Homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s already bad when you run into exes on campus. But with Homecoming right around the corner, what happens when you run into ex that you haven’t seen or heard from since May? I’m sure that you’ve moved on (I mean… you have? Right?) and had a fresh start to the year where you have numerous distractions that keep you from thinking about him. But considering the size of our school and bearing in mind that we’re all part of the Bucknell Bubble, there’s no escaping the inevitable. You will run into him and you will freak out.

Let’s think of all the possible situations – and solutions! – you can find yourself in this Homecoming-Halloweekend so you don’t have to jump behind a pumpkin or rely on a costume mask to reveal who you are.

You’re downtown on this beautiful upcoming Saturday afternoon sporting your flirty florals and trying to capture that not-so-candid photo with your best friend when that guy walks up to you. Instead of entering panic mode or sipping on your drink to avoid all possible eye contact, just be yourself and be cool. Stay confident by asking him a few questions about how his post-college life is, or what it’s like now living in the city as opposed to Amish country, USA. Don’t be that person that doesn’t acknowledge him, because that’s immature and makes it seem like you’re still not over him.

Most importantly though, make sure you’re polite. That’s right… kill him with kindness. You don’t have to talk to him for the entirety of the day. In fact, unless you’re trying to get that 2am text later, it’s probably better that you act cordial, but then use the excuse that you told your friends you’d meet up with them elsewhere. That way, you can avoid further conversation and leave the premises while making it look like you have better things to do… Killing two birds with one stone, my friend. It’s a blessing.

But what about when your ex texts you before Homecoming and assumes that he’s staying with you? It’s bound to happen that someone you don’t know will be chilling on your couch, but does it have to be him? The quick and easy answer to that would be a flat out no. But once again, be confident and mature. (Now would be the time to cue your inner Beyonce.) Before your heart starts racing and your palms are sweating, text him back and let him know that you either A) already have someone staying with you B) Don’t have any room, sorry! Or C) I think I heard that so and so is having people stay with him, want me to ask for you? Lmk! 

If all else fails, remember that this is a new year and that he already graduated #suckstosuck and he’s only here for this one weekend and you probably won’t ever see him again. On the flipside, this might be your only time to make a good first (last?) impression on him, so don’t screw it up! Whatever happened in the past happened, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Just remember to leave him in your past and don’t forget to hold your head up high wherever you run into him this weekend. 

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com