A Closer Look At Classroom Participation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The awkward eye contact, the shuffling of notes and the silence that ensues after a professor asks a question. We’re all familiar with this uncomfortable situation, especially in those early eight ams Bucknellians signed up for thinking it will kick start productivity, but really just end in a gamut of Dunkin Donuts runs. However, with the inclusion of a participation grade in classrooms across Bucknell’s campus, professors are attempting to diminish this discomfort.   

The Drawbacks of “Participation Points”

While it is important to encourage students to take part in class discussions and share their perspectives with their peers, “participation points” can hinder class discussions.  With a crowd of hands up in the air, one may wonder, do all of these students have something truly meaningful to say?

With a portion of a student’s grade depending upon their inclination to speak in class, many simply raise their hand to contribute something and have their voice be heard. Yet, most of the time in an attempt to ensure they have their “participation points” for the day, students may make an insignificant point or agree with a statement that another peer just made.

We all know those kids that raise their hand faster than the information spewing from the professor’s lips can even enter your own brain. They robotically shoot up their hand without missing a beat and comment on the professor’s words, making a connection that is so blatantly obvious that such commentary was unnecessary.  This can transform a class discussion that was once meaningful and thought provoking into a repetitive and unproductive experience.

The Intimidation Factor

Another important factor to consider about this participation-based grading method is the factor of potential shy students. Maybe, they have come prepared with notes taken through the wee hours of the night—intermittently, of course, given the couch room’s comfort—but come next morning they are not comfortable speaking in front of the class. Should their introverted personality hinder their academic success?

Making class time painful for students simply because they must gain “participation points” and speak in front of their peers when they are nervous and uncomfortable, promotes an unhealthy learning environment.  It is important for professors to recognize that there are other ways to measure success in a student’s participation grade. What about awarding those kids that show up on time, and somehow come dressed with hair brushed (a big accomplishment for those of in those early 8ams) to every single class of the semester? Or the students that manage to turn in every assignment in between their sports practice and the major malfunctions of the library printers? Coming to class on time, being prepared and handing in all assignment are alternative ways in which professors can measure a student’s involvement during class time.

Real World Preparation

While there are clearly many drawbacks to this type of forced class discussion, “participation points” can also be beneficial in preparing students for the real world. When it comes down to it, shy students cannot simply hide forever. Instead, it is important to force the quiet kids in the back to voice their opinion and let their voice be heard. By motivating these students that may be reluctant to speak in front of their peers to raise their hand, teachers are training soon to be graduates for the environment of a workplace.  In order to snag that job on Wall Street or hang that medical school degree on the wall, students need to feel comfortable about making their presence known around others.

What it really comes down to is quantity versus quality. Should a student who raises their hand five times in a class period but each time contributes less have a higher participation grade than the student that raises their hand twice in class but effectively adds to class conversation?  I think definitely not. The focus of class discussions needs to veer away from an environment where students are forced to compete with their peers on who can get called on the most.

While grading students on their class participation is one way to encourage learning and promote enthusiasm on a subject, it is surely not the only way. Instead, teachers should strive to create dynamic class discussions and promote an appropriate level of participation from their students. Ultimately, by creating a stimulating learning environment and encouraging meaningful discussion, students – regardless of their inherent personality characteristics – will be more willing to thoughtfully add to the conversation thus creating a setting in which we will learn from not only our professors but also from our fellow peers.  

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com