Challenge: Tech-Free Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Somewhere between the years of Club Penguin and Snapchat we lost ourselves in technology, necessitating its presence in our lives as a validator of our existence.  

As we trickle out of Bucknell this winter break, documenting our traffic ridden journey home via Snapchat, consider this: a tech-free weekend.  It won’t be easy.  In fact, it may feel nearly impossible.  But remember, your Sunday brunch will taste just as good without a Valencia filter.  So, before you surrender yourself over to your iPhone, consider alternatives for a liberating, technology-free weekend.  

Read a bookNo, a Kindle doesn’t count!  At school, reading consists mostly of finding quotes to use for your 10 page lit paper. Well break is the perfect opportunity to read just for leisure, rather than for your upcoming exam.  All of those books sitting on your childhood bookshelf are daring you to take a look.

Create somethingBucknell’s craft center may not be at your disposal this break but that shouldn’t prevent a quick trip to Michael’s crafts.  With Netflix out of your life for the weekend you can finally make one of the 100+ crafts on your Pinterest board.  Or, channel your inner 90’s kid with that craft kit that’s been collecting dust in your basement.

Play with your pupWe’re constantly watching the newest “funny dog compilation” video on youtube or being crazy ladies who FaceTime our pets while at school.  Well, now that you’re home with your fluffy little friend, consider actually spending time just being there and not documenting it.  

Get outsideMaking my way downtown/walkin fast/faces pass/and i’m home bound.  Just like our girl Vanessa, sometimes it seems like the only hike we ever make is the one from our uphill dorm to a downtown house.   But without White Picket or your friends texts anywhere in sight it’s time to actually get outside.  Whether you’re “ridin’ solo” like Jason Derulo or “rollin’ with the homies” like Coolio, a hike is a great opportunity to unwind and reflect.   And yes, it’s just as beautiful without sharing a photo.

Go to a concertDon’t get me wrong; Spotify and Itunes are some of the most wonderful inventions in history.  But they don’t take the place of a concert.  This break go see some live music.  It could be Justin Timberlake or just some John Mayer wannabes playing in a garage.  Either way, grab some friends and just listen – no recording.  

Write a letterAccording to Experian, U.S. smartphone owners ages 18 to 24 send an average of 2,022 texts per month.  If you choose to go tech-free you may lower the average, but your texting hiatus doesn’t mean you can’t send a quick note the old fashioned way.  Receiving hand written letters is such a rarity that their presence in our mailboxes makes us feel instantly more appreciated.  

What do all of these ideas have in a common?  They require your presence.  Not your phone’s or your computer’s presence; yours.  Technology is undeniably useful.  But since those Club Penguin days, its omnipresence has grasped our attention and hasn’t let go.  Try taking this weekend as your first step to recovery.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com