A Case for Fast Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Wearing a great outfit is so important –you never know where you will end up or who you will see or meet.  And there really is nothing better than looking and feeling great in an outfit.  But, having an up-to-date closet with tons of options is impossible for students.   Why does everything at Vince cost at least $150?  That is just not reasonable for college students and recent graduates, which is why fast fashion retailers like H&M, Forever 21, Zara and Topshop are so amazing.

Fast fashion retailers bring their customers the most recent fashion trends quickly and most importantly at affordable prices.  Their primary objective is designing and producing clothing in the most cost efficient manner.  The fashion industry is known for its extravagance – in style and in prices.  A pair of designer shoes can set you back thousands of dollars.  We see pictures of Hollywood’s elite going out to dinner in designer dresses or running to the supermarket in Christian Louboutins.  They are just like us, right?! 

While we all may wish we could be running around Lewisburg and our respective cities in Louboutins, it is just not feasible.  However, stores like H&M and Topshop allow us to attain the style that we all crave.  Fast fashion stores are always stocked with really up-to-date, trendy styles.  The best part is that they cost a fraction of what designers sell clothes for.  So, when you get sick of the latest trendy top you just bought after a few months, you won’t feel as guilty chucking it. 

For all the recent graduates about to start working, fast fashion retailers are amazing options to buy staple pieces like black and white blouses or simple shift dresses.  Buying lots of clothes for work can get really expensive.  Zara and H&M have amazing blouses to wear under sweaters and blazers.  They also have great, trendy dresses and skirts that you may not wear all the time but are great to have for a special day at work.  And at such a low prices, you can justify buying lots of pieces to mix and match.

Fast fashion retailers like Forever 21, Mango, H&M and Topshop are often times not taken too seriously.  But, they should be!  They are perfect for helping us stay on trend and not break the bank.  Tops from these places can actually be worn to class or work, not just downtown Lewisburg.  So, utilize the amazing prices at fast fashion retailers and let your closet grow and stay on trend at the same time!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com