A Broke Girl’s Guide to Olivia Palermo’s Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

“I never let anyone tell me what to wear. ‘Never, never.’ You have to feel comfortable in your own skin” (Olivia Palermo for Brides Magazine). Though a former cast member of MTV’s “The City,” Olivia has earned herself a name in the fashion industry, grabbing attention from all continents. Gracing the covers of Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, and like company, Olivia has embodied an effortlessly chic style, and ultimately, earned herself the title of New York City’s most stylish. The New York City socialite has become the princess of Park Avenue, with the hubby (Johannes, we love you) and the brand (http://www.oliviapalermo.com) at her side.

There’s no surprise that we envy, and desire to mimic, the style and life of the real-world Blair Waldorf. And while, yes, she’s often spotted sporting Chanel’s most recent bag or Burberry’s personally monogrammed poncho (@Mom, my birthday is coming up), her style is not completely unattainable. In fact, with brands like Zara and Nasty Gal, high street fashion has become more affordable. We’re all part of the Broke Girl’s Club at this point in life. Even if our bank accounts are suffering, our closets don’t have to.

Tied Shirt Dress – Easy, Breezy Summer

Olivia, pictured above, captures the simplicity of summer in a white Alexander Wang dress. Her necklace adds culture and tone to the simple and symmetrical cuts of the tied dress. Bringing her look together with neutral flats, Olivia boasts a straw beach bag that contrasts with the concrete of Manhattan’s streets.

Get Olivia’s look.

Corey Lynn Calter Tied Chambray Shirtdress; Anthropologie, $158

Klutch Flats; Steve Madden, $60

Rip Curl High Roller Stripe Beach Bag; Nordstrom, $50

Necklace; JC Penny, $34

Statement Heels – Bold, Date Night

Olivia perfects the white shirt and jeans by adding Aquazurra’s Beverly Hills strappy heels. Adding a fun, flirty pair of heels adds boldness to an already flawless outfit.

Get Olivia’s look.

Zara Linen Blouse; Zara, $50

Lucky Brand Mid-Rise Brooke Skinny-Legend; Lucky Brand, $65 (Sale!)

Zara Knotted High-Heel Sandals; Zara, $60

LBD to Little-Black-Romper – All Black Everything

The “Little Black Dress,” Coco Chanel’s dream, has sneaked its way into all of our closets. And while we love our LBD’s, Olivia has brought new change, working the “Little Black Romper” at New York Fashion Week. To complete her look, Olivia chose to stick to black, sunglasses through shoes.

Get Olivia’s look.

Kimchi Blue Strapless Skort Romper; Urban Outfitters, $79

Zara Blazer; Zara, $99

Zara Asymmetric Court Shoe; Zara, $80

Cuff Me Clutch; Nasty Gal, $45

Hit n’ Run Matte Shades; Nasty Gal, $20

Overalls All Over – Turning Denim Dainty

Overalls have made there comeback…no longer are they only appropriate for farmers. Olivia chose to pair her overalls with a classic button down, and feminine accessories. The contrast between the denim and the pale pink is warm and attractive.

Get Olivia’s look.

Level 99 Lily Relaxed Overall Denim; Revolve Clothing, $118

Zara Striped Shirt; Zara, $50

Shall We Dance? Flat; Modcloth, $15

H&M Shoulder Bag; H&M, $30

Retro Reflective Sunglasses; GoJane, $7

Bucknell University 2018
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com