Balance: The Key to Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s a month into your New Year’s resolution and you are probably thinking, “Oh yeah… about that.” Getting back into the school routine and figuring out a crazy schedule leads the average college student into a rut. The week becomes a downward spiral of going out, getting behind in work, and then cramming and not being able to hang out with friends or even think about going to the gym. But who says you can’t do it all? Finding balance and being mindful is the key to living the full college experience.

Rachel Brathen perfectly captures what many college students strive for, explaining that, “Balance is key. In everything you do. Dance all night and practice yoga the next day. Drink wine but don’t forget your green juice. Eat chocolate when your heart wants it and kale salad when your body needs it. Wear high heels on Saturday and walk barefoot on Sunday…” Of course, that is easier said than done when you’re hungover and succumb to eating a bacon, egg, and cheese that Sunday morning or watching hours of Netflix instead of writing your paper. Having a balanced and mindful state of mind increases one’s happiness, wellbeing, productivity, and school success.

Ways to Find Balance:

1.    Prioritize your time: Study in a quiet area rather than getting distracted by friends discussing meaningless gossip. Use your time effectively.

2.    Schedule: Make a “things to do” list and feel satisfied checking items off it.

3.    Turn It Off: Take the time when you’re with your friends to fully be there, rather than scrolling down your newsfeed.

4.    Say No: Cut out activities that are not beneficial and do not feel guilty about it.

5.    Make your health just as important as classes: You wouldn’t miss your 1-2:30 class, so don’t miss that 5-6 spinning class.

6.    Avoid toxic people: You are beautiful. Spend less time with people who put you down. Surround yourself with positive, supportive, and motivated people.

7.    Treat yourself: Watch The Bachelor every Monday night with a slice of pizza…or two…

8.    Keep up with relationships: Have coffee with a friend you haven’t seen in a while or plan a fun date night!

9.    Expand your awareness: Attend an unusual event or pick up a book!

10. Have fun: Go out Wednesday when you have an 8am Thursday. The work is never going to end, but college will.

In the end, just relax and be in the present. Snap out of it when you find yourself auto piloting through life. Do everything you want to do, while still taking care of the things you need to do. Yes, it is all easier said than done but a little bit of everything is far better than whole lot of one thing. It is not a New Year’s resolution, it’s a lifestyle choice. Focus on your life, not your work.

Molly Farrell is a junior at Bucknell University majoring in creative writing and minoring in arts entrepreneurship. She enjoys long walks on the beach, netflix to continue playing, and her puns intended. Follow her on instagram: mfarrell34