5-Minute Dorm Room Delicacies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Caf food getting you down? Too lazy to walk to the Bison? We’ve all been there. It’s just around this time of year when you start to really miss home-cooked food. While we can’t all be master chefs, there are some quick and easy recipes to make in the comfort of your room that will keep you sane for the next few weeks. You’re just one trip to Weis away from being healthier and happier.

Simple Salad

This is about as easy as it gets, and the good news? You can buy the ingredients in bulk at either Weis or Walmart and they’ll last a while. 

You’ll Need:

• Spinach
  • Mushrooms
  • Avocado
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Olive oil
  • Any other toppings you like!

Just throw it all together in a large mixing bowl and voila! Healthy and easy.

Bright Breakfast

No one wants to trek all the way to get food early in the morning. Get your day started the right way with some hearty oatmeal (it’s really good for you!!)

You’ll Need:

• Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal (They sell massive boxes at Walmart that last forever)
  • Fruit (blueberries, strawberries, apples, bananas, whatever floats your boat)
  • Cinnamon
  • Brown sugar

Put the oatmeal in the microwave with water for about two minutes, then add in all the fun toppings!

Yummy Yogurt

Although they sell it at the Bison and (kind of) have yogurt at the caf, you can always do it better yourself.

You’ll Need:

• Greek yogurt of your choice
  • Bare Naked granola
  • Mixed Berries
  • Chia seeds

Mix them all together and you’ll have a snack or meal that will keep you functioning and focused for the day. Easy and simple, but it tastes like dessert!

Breakfast Burrito Bowl

This takes some next-level microwave expertise – but it is definitely worth the (minor) hassle. Who needs egg bar when you can make it in your room?

You’ll Need:

• 2 Large Eggs
  • Salsa
  • Tortilla
  • Cheese (pre-shredded… unless you want to do it yourself for some reason)

Start with the tortilla in a microwavable bowl. Shape the tortilla so that it is making the same shape as the bowl. Put it in the microwave for 10 seconds to make it easier to mold to the bowl. Crack two eggs inside the tortilla bowl that you made inside the actual bowl, and stir – just trust me on this one. Throw in the shredded cheese as well. Take a paper towel and cover the entire top of the tortilla/bowl. Microwave for about 2 minutes. Take out, let cool. Add in the salsa. Now you get to decide whether you want to keep it in a bowl or fold it into a burrito. Yum!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com