Your Guide to Buying Black Flats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Black flats are a staple in my closet since they are easy to pair with different outfits. For mornings when you wake up with class in fifteen minutes, slip into your trusty black flats and your go-to jeans and sweater outfit to make it on time, and then pair them with a skirt and colorful blouse for dinner with friends. The neutral shade of black is why I need to have at least one pair of black flats at all times and the fact that they are flat makes them an even better because in Boston there is a lot of walking to do!

Since I work and have class right after, it is important for me to have professional shoes that are comfortable enough to wear all day. Especially in this awkward weather we have had lately, these flats are a lifesaver because they keep my toes warm in the morning and are open enough that if it gets sunny during the day, I am still okay. Unfortunately, my favorite black flats are officially unwearable, so I am looking to replace them. A few that I like are included here!

[pagebreak]

This suede pair from Urban Outfitters ($38) is adorable. I like how it has stacked two bows, which is unusual.

[pagebreak]

This pair from Aldo($80) would definitely be a splurge, but they are so cute with the gold hardware and tassels – adding polish to any outfit.

[pagebreak]

And these simple, black patent flats (H&M, $17.95) are also a great plain basic.

[pagebreak]

I also like these from Urban ($34) because the ankle strap is a dainty, ladylike detail that would look great worn with tights and a skirt.

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.