Your Guide to the 2015 Oscar Nominated Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the Oscar’s loom closer, new films will take precedence this year at the illustrious award show. From riveting true stories to comedic and charming works of fiction, the world of cinema was abound with instant hits this season. So grab your popcorn and press play; here are my pics of this year’s must-see Oscar nominated films.

For the adventure seeker: Wild (Nominations: Actress in a Leading Role for Reese Witherspoon)

Leading lady Reese Witherspoon depicts the brave and trying tale of Cheryl Strayed, a woman who embarks on a journey of self-discovery as she hikes 1,100 miles alone across the Pacific Crest Trail. Based on Strayed’s real life memoir, Wild delves into the psyche of a woman attempting to mend the scars left by a troubled past. Honest, raw, and beautifully filmed, Wild expertly executes the transition from print to motion picture. 

For the suspense junkie: The Imitation Game (Nominations: Best Picture/Actor in a Leading Role for Benedict Cumberbatch)

Based off of the life of legendary cryptanalyst Alan Turing, The Imitation Game follows the gripping story of a top-secret team of code breakers who race against the clock to uncover German plans during World War II. The film’s sheer genius lies in its characters’ intelligence and innovation. Benedict Cumberbatch delivers an impeccable performance as the socially inept yet brilliant mastermind of the movie, while Kiera Knightley, as fellow codebreaker, adds an element of female bravado to the film in a time when women were considered capable of little more than clerical work. Utilizing such talent, The Imitation Game sheds light on a powerful story that had been in enshrouded in the depths of government secrecy for decades. 

For the romanticThe Theory of Everything (Nominations: Best Picture/ Actor in a Leading Role for Eddie Redmayne)

On track with this season’s trend of cinematic biographies, The Theory of Everything revolves around the life of famous physicist and cosmologist Stephen Hawking. The film details Hawking’s struggles and triumphs as he battles living with a rare and debilitating form of ALS. A story of true love, the strength of family, and perseverance in the midst of hopelessness, The Theory of Everything is a touching account of a man who, with the help of his loved ones, manages to battle a crippling disease. Actor Eddie Redmayne (as Stephen Hawking) rightly deserves the Oscar for taking on such a role that proved both extremely physically and mentally demanding. 

For the fairytale fanatic: Into the Woods (Nominations: Actress in a Supporting Role for Meryl Streep)

A flurry of magic and fun, Into the Woods combines multiple classic Disney tales into one unforgettable and slightly off-beat musical based off the 1987 Broadway hit. The intricate plot weaves together a plethora of stories and characters, illustrating just what happens when the adventures of Cinderella, Jack (from Jack and the Beanstalk), Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, and an English couple hoping to have a child collide. With its star-studded cast and attempts to poke fun at traditional fairytale mores, Into The Woods is a film for all ages. 

For the patriotic viewer: American Sniper (Nominations: Best Picture/Actor in a Leading Role for Bradley Cooper)

Recounting the story of the most lethal American sniper in U.S. Military history, Chris Kyle, American Sniper does proper justice to its real-life subject. The film is abundant with tense, gut-wrenching moments and vivid scenes that capture the monstrosity of the Iraqi war in the wake of 9/11. A powerful tribute to a real life American hero, American Sniper is not to be missed. 

For the artistic admirer: The Grand Budapest Hotel  (Nominations: Best Picture)

The Grand Budapest Hotel follows the adventures of Gustave H, a famous concierge at a prominent hotel in the fictional republic of Zubrowka, and his lobby boy. Set during the 1930’s, the story takes off when one of the hotel’s oldest and richest patrons turns up dead and suspiciously leaves Gustave with a highly renowned and precious painting. Abound with chaotic antics and an all-star cast of eccentric characters, the film comes together as a visually stunning piece of cinema. Defined by its quirky style, hilarity, and thoughtful construction, The Grand Budapest hotel proves itself as one of Wes Anderson’s best films to date.

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis